cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot get Cisco HWIC Wan card to ping a internet gateway

Paul Bedorf
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco 3845 router, which is connected to the uplink(internet) through FastEthernet1/0 Interface. Because we are maximizing bandwidth on this interface, almost 80% I have installed a Cisco Gigabit Ethernet HWIC  with ' 1000BASE-T SFP '  in the Wic 0 slot, the item installed looks  exactly as shown on this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/2800-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016be8d.html

Installation of the card was straightforward and smooth.  The configs on Fa1/0 and the new GigabitEthernet0/0/0 look as follows

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
 no ip proxy-arp
 shutdown
 no negotiation auto
!
interface FastEthernet1/0
 ip address 66.199.39.78 255.255.255.252
 no ip redirects
 no ip proxy-arp
 duplex full
 speed 100
!

I can ping my ' 66.199.39.77 ' gateway no problem when configuration is on Fa1/0, I then remove the ip address on Fa1/0 and shutdown the interface and switch over to Gi0/0/0 interface, assign the same ip address to Gi0/0/0, bring the interface up. I then try to ping 66.199.39.77 but it does not ping.  When I run the command:
sh int interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0

It shows that the interface and the link is up, no CRC errors etc... so can't figure out why I cannot ping ' 66.199.39.77 '

So I am not sure if this issue is related to the Wic Card, cabling or some other configuration... any ideas what the issue might be?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the additional information. The link you give to the forum discussion is interesting and may point to the issue. And it clearly relates to the comment in one of your earlier posts about not having speed or duplex commands for your new interface.

I am thinking about your statement that you are physically moving the cable when you switch interfaces. So it looks like you are connecting an interface that operates only at Gig speed to a device that is almost certainly set for 100 Meg. And that may well be the cause of your problem. I would suggest that you talk with the folks who manage the infrastructure that you are connecting to and ask if they can arrange a connection that would physically be a Gig connection and that is managed to use only 100 Meg.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

when you moved to g0/0/0 and the interface came up were you able to ping that ip address .78 locally

whats the port connected to is it a 3rd party device if not and its cisco can you see any layer 1 cdp neighbour  ,did you try remove the no negotiation auto and set duplex and speed

did you install the card while the router was powered off

did you capture the output of the show int g0/0/0 when it had the ip address on it

check the arp for that ip is complete as well when on g0/0/0

Hello Mark

when you moved to g0/0/0 and the interface came up were you able to ping that ip address .78 locally

I did not try that, my bad.

whats the port connected to is it a 3rd party device if not and its cisco can you see any layer 1 cdp neighbour  ,did you try remove the no negotiation auto and set duplex and speed

The interface is connected to a 3rd party, its actually in our Datacenter, so the cable goes somewhere to Cogeco infrastructure.... Yes, I have removed the " no negotiation auto " surprisingly did not get the option to set the duplex and the speed for the interface... but after removing the " no negotiation auto " the link came up, with auto negotiation the link was down. But I was not able to ping the gateway....

did you install the card while the router was powered off

Yes I have installed the card while the router was powered off

did you capture the output of the show int g0/0/0 when it had the ip address on it

I did not save the capture, but when i run this command everything seemed clean.

check the arp for that ip is complete as well when on g0/0/0

I will have to schedule another maintenance window to get more readings... this is our production router so my last window for the maintenance was pretty short...

In your opinion do you think it could be anything associated with Cogeco Infrastructure side? We have a 100Mpbs bandwith, should that also be raised to 1Gbps in order for the new 1G HWIC card to work correctly?

Is the Gi0/0/0 connecting to the same provider as FA1/0? If you are not physically moving the cable to make the change but are trusting that Cogeco infrastructure to get the connection then there is some possibility that their infrastructure is not getting you connected correctly.

One thing that I would suggest is to check on how well ARP is working. While you are still connected on FA1/0 do show arp. There should be an entry for the gateway address associated with FA1/0. Then make the change. After the Gi0/0/0 is activated do the show arp. Is there an entry for the gateway address? Is the entry associated with Gi0/0/0? If there is not an entry for the gateway address then I would turn on debug for arp and attempt to ping the gateway address. Check the debug output to see if you are sending arp requests and what kind of response you are getting.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Richard

Yes the Gi0/0/0 is connecting to the same provider as FA1/0, I am actually physically moving the cable over to Gi0/0/0 when making the switch over.

I just did a ' show arp ' while the cable is connected to FA1/0 and got this result:

Internet  66.199.39.78            -   0017.e059.a7d1  ARPA   FastEthernet1/0

To check what the arp would look like when connected to Gi0/0/0 i would have to schedule another downtime window....

Also, i came across this post and wander if this is the issue that i am facing:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12323826/no-speed-or-duplex-commands-available-after-installing-hwic

Could it be the rate limit issue? the HWIC card operates at 1Gbps, full duples while the actual bandwith to Cogeco operates at 100Mpbs?

Thanks for the additional information. The link you give to the forum discussion is interesting and may point to the issue. And it clearly relates to the comment in one of your earlier posts about not having speed or duplex commands for your new interface.

I am thinking about your statement that you are physically moving the cable when you switch interfaces. So it looks like you are connecting an interface that operates only at Gig speed to a device that is almost certainly set for 100 Meg. And that may well be the cause of your problem. I would suggest that you talk with the folks who manage the infrastructure that you are connecting to and ask if they can arrange a connection that would physically be a Gig connection and that is managed to use only 100 Meg.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard, so I got in touch with Cogeco DC, they have confirmed that our 1Gbps card will not work with their end, as on their end we are hardcoded to a 100Mbps hardware. We have submitted an order to connect us to 1G port with burstable bandwith.

Thanks for the update. I am glad that my suggestion about the possible cause turned out to be correct. Thank you for using the rating system to mark this question as answered. I am optimistic that when they have changed their end to be burstable and capable of up to a Gig speed that it will work as you need it to.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes you were %100 correct. Cogeco has made the change on their end and the interface is working perfect now.

Thank You again.

Thank you for posting back to the forum to confirm that my suggestion was correct and to let us know that the problem is now solved and the interface is working perfect now.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card