Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot login to the console from cisco router used as terminal server

sjuneau
Level 1
Level 1

Good day!

We are trying to login to the console of a Cisco 7609 from a cisco 2821 using telnet 2821_router 2081(port number). When we do that we get the username prompt(we use a radius server). At that point we can see the 7609 logging messages that goes on the console of that 7609 router. We get constant logging on that router since we use it as a firewall. Never done that before on any of our equipments. The logging entries interfere with the login process and we cannot login.

Help!!!

Thank you in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sylvain

It is your environment and you can set it up as will best fit your requirements. I can understand that you may need logging from the router, but I wonder if the logging needs to be to the console port. Would it work to send the logs to a syslog server, or to logging buffered and relieve the console of that load?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sylvain

I do not understand how the console messages being displayed interfere with the login process. The router is displaying messages from its output buffer. The router is reading your login from its input buffer. Even though it looks confusing on the scree - the output and input are intermixed - the router keeps the buffers separate and the output buffer does not interfere with the input buffer.

However if you believe that there is a problem here that I do not understand there are some things that you can do. In particular you might be able to reduce the volume of messages being sent to the console of the 7609. By default all logging messages go to the console. But you can use the logging console ? command to set the level of messages. Perhaps configuring logging console warn will give you the important messages but reduce the volume of messages so that it does not interfere. Or as a more extreme approach you can configure no logging console. This will eliminate all messages from the console.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Mister Rick,

Thank you for the quick response. The 7609 is the only router so far that produce this problem on a cisco 2821. We want to have the logging for this router as this router is used as a firewall. There must be an explanation for this; it does make sense.

Thank you again.

Sylvain

It is your environment and you can set it up as will best fit your requirements. I can understand that you may need logging from the router, but I wonder if the logging needs to be to the console port. Would it work to send the logs to a syslog server, or to logging buffered and relieve the console of that load?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to answer. We want to know why this happens and get this fixed. We have many terminal servers (routers) to connect to other routers console ports and also we connect to console ports of routers through auxiliary ports of other routers at about 200 sites acfross Canada and this problem never happpened before. we do log to a syslog server as well. A work around is not a standard for us and changing this standard would imply a lot of work.

thank you again

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card