andretimoll
Level 1
Level 1

Heres the configuration guys.

interface Serial0/0

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252

no shut

no keepalive

i cant seem to ping my own interace. Its in an up/up state, however nothing is in the arp cache, what could the problem be?

If i do the same for a loopback interface it works fine.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The key is it is framerelay.

When you put it on the subinterface I assume you used the interface dlci to map it. It knows this is point to point and works

When you had it on the main interface your were using the default setting that lets frame relay run inverse arp. When you have it this way you must map your own IP address to the dlci. It was working to the far end because of the inverse arp setting

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

sourabhagarwal
Level 4
Level 4

from where you are trying to ping?

can you ping the other side IP of interface connecting to this s0/0 from this router? I guess the IP will be 192.168.1.2

from the router i configured this address on. I can ping the other ip address 192.168.1.2.

from the other side can you ping 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2?

from the other side i can ping 192.168.1.1 but NOT 192.168.1.2 (its local address!).

I was setting up a frame relay configuration and was confused when this happened. I change the configuration to sub interfaces and it just started working, allowing me to ping my local interfaces.

Im going to carry on with my lab and i will try and recreate that problem again and to have a even longer dig around!

Do you have any ideas what it could be?

The key is it is framerelay.

When you put it on the subinterface I assume you used the interface dlci to map it. It knows this is point to point and works

When you had it on the main interface your were using the default setting that lets frame relay run inverse arp. When you have it this way you must map your own IP address to the dlci. It was working to the far end because of the inverse arp setting

Hi,

depending on your FR configuration you need map statements to find ANY IP including the routers interface IP. This will be happening on multipoint interfaces. So configure a frame-relay map 192.168.1.1 100 (routers own IP and DLCI connecting the two routers) and the ping will work. The router will send the ICMP over the PVC, and the other router will send it back. Same procedure for ICMP reply.

Hope this helps! please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

I see! I just assumed you wont need to map you own local ip address. Now i will be testing this in my lab with incorrect setting, correct settings with debug turned on so i can see whats going on!

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card