cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat5e and Cat6 Cable connection to 4506..

cindylee27
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I have one server, needs to be connected to 1Gbps speed to Core Switch.

On the Core Switch's port, it is a GigabitEthernet...so I have no problem with that.

my question is.. What is the different if I use Cat5e and Cat6 to plug in the server to the core switch??

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

insccisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hey

I've used both cables before and I think both did the job when connected to 1Gbps ports.

But perhaps someone more experienced could add

Have you tested them already? have you plugged in both and noticed anything different between them?

View solution in original post

Cindy, they'll both work just fine, but go with the Cat-6e if the distance exceeds 80 meters or so. Cat 6e is a higher grade cable and can handle Gigabit data rates at distances greater than cat 5e.

HTH

Victor

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

insccisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hey

I've used both cables before and I think both did the job when connected to 1Gbps ports.

But perhaps someone more experienced could add

Have you tested them already? have you plugged in both and noticed anything different between them?

Cindy, they'll both work just fine, but go with the Cat-6e if the distance exceeds 80 meters or so. Cat 6e is a higher grade cable and can handle Gigabit data rates at distances greater than cat 5e.

HTH

Victor

Thanks guys !

I will take note of this .. and rated the post..:)

You got it, Cindy.

Thanks for the rating.

Victor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card