cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat6a (10Gig) for desktops? Good idea?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, I need to provide cable requirements for a building where CAD engineering folks will be working.

How about cabling that with Cat6a in order to take advantage of 10Gig for those workstations which normally need to collaborate with other engineers in graphics, etc?

2 Replies 2

Tony.henry
Level 1
Level 1

News

Can't really see a point where users/customers will ask for less speed. I'd reckon that the price per port on the switch would probably be still to expensive. today.

But the differnce on the structured cabling wouldn't be that big a issue. You could fit it with 6a in preparation for 10G, and make the upgrade cheaper when the price point comes down a bit.

Tony

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I agree with Tony on this. The 10G for desktops at this point of time would be an expensive idea. I have a customer of mine with the same network and we have designed a Cat6 1G to the desktop network and it seems to be working absolutely fine with scalability to 10G. They use pretty heavy mechanical engineering drawings transfer on the network.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: