Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3550 Vlan tagging on subinterface

mesuti
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I tried to encapsulate a subinterface on a Layer 3 interface ( no switchport ) on Catalyst 3550 but there was no option for encapsulation dot1q <vlan number> command?

When I try to add a IP address on that subinterface it notifies me that :

Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only allowed if that

subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE 802.10, IEEE 802.1Q, or ISL vLAN.

just like on routers, but no such command, so my question is if there is any other command equal to that, or there isn't such feature in this catalyst serie or should I change the IOS?

IOS version 3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-22.EA2.bin

Thanks in Advance

Mesut Abdurrahmani

3 Replies 3

cdusio
Level 4
Level 4

Routed Ports

A routed port is a physical port that acts like a port on a router; it does not have to be connected to a router. A routed port is not associated with a particular VLAN, as is an access port. A routed port behaves like a regular router interface, except that it does not support VLAN subinterfaces. Routed ports can be configured with a Layer 3 routing protocol.

This is from 3550 configuration guide.

You can trunk that port and then create multiple vlans and accomplish the same thing.

Chris

thanks for response

It seems that I have to configure a port as Layer 2.

regards,

Mesut

You cannot configure sub-interfaces on 3550 or most catalyst switches on ethernet interfaces.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card