Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6509-E Supervisor Question

DuncanM2008
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of evalutating potential equipment options for a Core Router/Switch that will be running BGP with several Tier 1 ISP's, the table download from each ISP will be full (300,000+ Routes).

I was looking at a 6509-E with dual SUP720-3BXL superivsors but after reading the below link I'm a little concerned by the maximum routes table:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_data_sheet09186a0080159856_ps2797_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Do I have to go to the VS based 720 supervisor as a minimum to support full BGP on a 6509-E?

Does anyone have any experience of the above switch + supervisor combination under a full BGP table, how well does it work? I'm looking at long term using this as a consolidated core (i.e. a VRF for the Global Internet routing table + a VRF for internal datacentre traffic, plus maybe some more shared VRF's).

Would I be better keeping a Core switch by itself and just buying edge routers to run BGP?

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If this is for a new deployment with 300.000 routes, I would look at Sup-2T, from what I understand the price for a 2T is the same as 720-VS or very close to it. For 720-VS the processor is only 600Mhz vs the 2T is duel core at 1.5Ghz each.

Also memory can go up to 4Gig on 2T

Have a look at table-8

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/white_paper_c11-676346.html

HTH

Hi Reza,

I had a feeling that would be the answer, I'll have to get a price for a pair of the 2T's and see how they compare to the pricing i have already for the SUP720-3BXL's.

Makes me wonder though if it would be sensible to just keep edge routers with decent CPU's & Memory aka 7201VXR's (NPE-G2) to run the full BGP at the edge and just keep the core switching seperate.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card