cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

changing vtp clinet to transparent can't ping some virtual machine (without clear arp)

ismayilov.vakar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have a lot of switches in our network and vtp 1 configured (6500 is vtp server mode and others are client) we change core (vtp server mode) switch to 6807 xl(not in same vtp domain). After changing all is ok. But I have changed distribute switch (all servers and other switch connected to distribute(3750-e)) vtp mode from client to transparent, but lost connection between 1 subnet in virtual environment. after clear ip arp x.x.x.x can connect and ping but after 2-3 minutes lost again and cant connect till clear arp.(but all subnets in blade(virtual) servers work properly only x vlan but I can reach all x vlan ips except virtual). I don't understand what happen after 2-3 days now all work properly. I am waiting solutions from your experience.

Thanks in advance 

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VTP only does central management of all the VLAN update database distributed to rest of the network switches act as clients.

When you change from Client to Transparent, the VLAN no longer get update from VTP Server.

If the VLAN Available Locally in the Transparent Switch all should be good.

Make sure all the VLAN Pruned down to Core--dist-access in the port-channel or other mode of connectivity.

If all are Transparent in the network, there is no requirement i see here as VTP Server.

Also check your STP configuration, Topology change will have small interruption in the network.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

But why only one vlan not working on virtual environment ? and why work after clear arp I confused

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card