Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1600 or 2611 Router

KevinPhillips88
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am new to using Cisco routers for accessing the internet. I have the following senario, I have a Virgin media super hub set in modem mode connected to the router  Ethernet interface 0/0, I my computer will be connected to interface Ethernet 0/1, I would like some advise on how to configure my router so I am able to access the internet, and also which router would be the best to use. I have one Cisco 1600, and one 2611.

Any advise would be greatly appriecated.

Kind Regards

Kevin

8 Replies 8

Hi,

You may configure as below if you have only one pc connected

conf t# interface Ethernet 0/1

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252

no shut

end

interface ethernet 0/0

ip address (isp ip address) 255.255.255.252 

no sh

end

asign ip to your pc as 192.168.1.2 with mask 255.255.255.252  and default gateway as 192.168.1.1

now again go to conf mode type

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (isp ip address)

please exclude brackets i.e.., ()

If you have no other requirements other than this go with the cheapest one,

if your requirement is going to be more in the future opt for a best router and you may get the information at your vendor or you may contact here Product Management Contact: ask-stg-ios-pm@cisco.com

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/prod_bulletin09186a00801abfda.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guides_list.html

Please dont forget to rate helpful posts

Regards
Thanveer
"Everybody is genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is a stupid."

Thank you Thanveer,

I will try this tonight and let you know how I get on.

Kind Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Any luck??

Regards
Thanveer
"Everybody is genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is a stupid."

Hello Thanveer,

I have attempted to configure my router with the commands suggested, however when I type the;

"type ip route"

part of the command the command errors with the following message "incomplete command". Would it be possible to have a full example of this command, so I can see where I am going wrong.

Just to clarfify, I would like the modem on Ethernet interface 0/0, and my computer will be connected to interface Ethernet 0/1. However on your last post I do not see any configuration for interface 0/0.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Kevin

P.S. I have decided to go with the 2611

Hi

Command is not "type ip route", in fact it is as below mentioned:-

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ip_address_ISP

regards

shivlu jain

Dear Kevin, I am sorry that was a gramatical error in english I hav updated it please follow it.

Dear Shivlu thanks for clarifying it.

Regards
Thanveer

I under stand I did not mean what I typed, once I am home tonight I will paste a screen dump here and you will see what I mean.

When I type "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ip_address_ISP"

Where there are 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 is that ment to have a certain IP range/ Subnet.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin

you have to write as it is mentioned "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ip_address_ISP"

mentioning 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 means forward all the traffic.

first four octes of 0 says that is is network and next 4 octets of 0 says it is the subnet mask.

regards

shivlu jain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: