cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1751 router stuck in rommon

AgentTyler
Level 1
Level 1

I do not have a cross over cable and have to use xmodem. I set the baud rate to 115200 and I can see everything fine. Using Tera Term when you send the file via xmodem it freezes and closes on packet #3 or about 384 bits. When simply clicking the send file button you get the error- 

*** Reserved LVL 7 Interrupt ***

PC = 0xfff0bc98, Vector = 0x500, SP = 0x80004c4c

Not sure what to do from here. I have tried everything.

Error you get when you boot the router:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(1r)XE1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/ibld/view.pl?i=support

Copyright (c) 2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C1700 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

loadprog: bad file magic number:      0x0

boot: cannot load "flash:"

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” – IBM M
20 Replies 20

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"magic number" means the IOS file is corrupt.

I am trying to upload a new iso to the router. I honistly do not even see an ios on the router right now.

It all started when I got the router in the mail and I had to preform pw recover on it, i followed the cisco webpage to do so and some how when i reloaded it, it boots to rommon with thoes errors.

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” – IBM M

When you preformed the password recovery did you set it to boot back from the Flash?

Also when you say a new ISO to the router did you redownload it and try again?

I set the configuration to 0x2102. I have not tried that but none the less the file should transfer right? The file does not even transfer at the moment. Any idea what that (*** Reserved LVL 7 Interrupt *** PC = 0xfff0bc98, Vector = 0x500, SP = 0x80004c4c) error is?

I am personally not sure what that intterrupt error is. Have you tried to format the flash?

I believe that it automaticaly did that each time when I tried running Xmodem.

"WARNING: All existing data in bootflash will be lost!

Invoke this application only for disaster recovery.

Do you wish to continue? y/n [n]: y"

marksanc
Level 1
Level 1

I would try the following:

- Use a different client terminal that supports xmodem file transfers such as Hyperterminal.

- Try a lower baud rate, ie 57600.

- Try another console cable.

Please let me know if it still doesn't work after trying these items - Thanks!

Well I got a cross over cable and now my computer shows signal. I can not nor never could get tftp to work

I followed this "http://helpdesk.tipg.net/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1"

Does not work, just times out even though it is connected directly. I used the tftp servers binded ip addresses. As the default gateway i used the 169 ip address that my computer assigned the port.

Maybe this document will help you out:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_tech_note09186a00800942dc.shtml

Also you do not want to use the 169.x.x.x address. That is the local link address. I would make sure that the router and the network card are on the same subnet, example 192.168.1.1/24

Check this post/forum/document for formatting flash:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4250

I really need to format the flash but remember i can only work from rommon mode. I got tftp to transer to the router but apparently the router only has 16mb of flash free (it says it has 32mb overall) The ios is 21mb. How do i clean it all out?

If you do a "dir flash:"? Is there an IOS on there already? What kinds of files are in there? You may need to clean some of them out.

All that is there is a file named "running-configg" (yes two g's)

I would format the flash. If that does not work maybe the IOS is not for the hardware you are running it on.

How do I format it in rommon mode?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: