Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841 and a 400MbS optic fibre connection

brendonl
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco 1841 is a 100mbs router.  

The building has a 400mbps line.  

My question is can I connect the  Cisco 1841 to a 400mps line directly without any configuration or hardware changes for 400mps?  We only need a 100mps line output.  Trying to avoid a new router when not needed.

Thank you

Brendon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The 1941 will be fine.  Note that an 891F is likely to be cheaper and will have almost identical performance, and comes licences with everything (while licences are an "extra" for the 1941).

I have almost stopped selling 1941's as a result of this.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 400Mbs circuit is likely to be delivered via a Gigabit port - and you are not likely to have a Gigaport on an 1841.  Unless the provider has configured it as a auto-speed port so it will step down to 100Mb/s the answer would be no.

The Cisco 891F is a lower cost option with a Gigabit WAN port and will easily manage 100Mb/s of throughput.  It would certainly beat an 1841 hands down performance wise.

Philip

Thanks indeed.  We have an offer of a Cisco 1941.   What do you think of this model as a low cost replacement as well?

The 1941 will be fine.  Note that an 891F is likely to be cheaper and will have almost identical performance, and comes licences with everything (while licences are an "extra" for the 1941).

I have almost stopped selling 1941's as a result of this.

Thanks will look into it.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Kpps ratings:

1841: 75

89x: 100

1941: 330

If you go by Cisco recommendations, they recommend 89x for 15 Mbps and a 1941 for 25 Mbps, but you might want to read their whitepaper, which I've attached, for yourself.

Thanks appreciated!

Glenn Martin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

moved discussion to Network Infrastructure community

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco