Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1900 Series 1921 Integrated Services Router IOS-15.7

Hi Guys,

I am a student and I am planning to buy Cisco 1900 Series 1921 Integrated Services Router IOS-15.7 in ebay to create my own small lab. so I can practice. My question is would you recommend this purchase?

thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Matt Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

The 1921 is good but I prefer the 1941. It has 3 x EHWIC slots into which you can put an 1 x EHWIC-8ESG to use as a L2 switch. This is double-wide. The 2 x inbuilt gigabit ethernet ports are both L3 so you get the best of both worlds. With a switch you can then do router on a stick configs. The spare slot you can put an EHWIC-VA-DSL in for the internet. In my 1941 I was able to put a generic 2GB ECC memory module to up the RAM from 512MB.

The EHWIC-8ESG-P also allows for PoE so you can power up access points etc.

Make sure you get one with the security plus licence. That way you'll be able to learn zone-based firewalling and other security stuff.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Matt Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

The 1921 is good but I prefer the 1941. It has 3 x EHWIC slots into which you can put an 1 x EHWIC-8ESG to use as a L2 switch. This is double-wide. The 2 x inbuilt gigabit ethernet ports are both L3 so you get the best of both worlds. With a switch you can then do router on a stick configs. The spare slot you can put an EHWIC-VA-DSL in for the internet. In my 1941 I was able to put a generic 2GB ECC memory module to up the RAM from 512MB.

The EHWIC-8ESG-P also allows for PoE so you can power up access points etc.

Make sure you get one with the security plus licence. That way you'll be able to learn zone-based firewalling and other security stuff.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes, you can buy from eBay, but there is no support, as long as it learning the purpose and it has license what feature you like to use, look for vendor credibility before buying on eBay.

other suggestion look for hardware liquidator or refurbished equipment vendor, who is selling cheap depends on continent.#

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I got my 1941 from eBay Australia for $120AUD and it hasn't missed a beat. Came with the EHWIC-8ESG-P. It was from a reputable seller though. The 2GB ECC SIMM was one I had in my memory collection and it worked. Cheaper than the OEM part. It is not a production router though. **Do Not Try This At Work**. Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card