Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1900 Throughput 15Mbps?

Ricardo Duarte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

About the 1921, I can see the following on the Cisco site:

- The Cisco 1900 Series enables deployment in high-speed WAN environments with concurrent services enabled up to 15 Mbps.

- Circuit-speed performance up to 25 Mbps with concurrent service

I don't need any VPN/IPSEC functionality. Just NAT and firewall.

From the datasheet, I'm lead to think I can only get a maximum of 15mbps from my WAN link, even if it can deliver more throughput.

But this value is quite low, compared to, say, an ASA5505 and even other non-enterprise devices.

Also, why does the router ships with 1Gbps when it can only reach 15Mbps?

Can someone give me some hint on how to read this value? Is this a soft limit? Can I never reach, say, 100mbit/s? What would I lose if I buy an ASA5505 instead of a 1921?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

NAT and firewall take processing capacity, just like VPN. No low end routing device will run at link protocol negotiation speeds. If they did, why would there be a need for higher priced products?

You need to match your network requirements with the appropriate equipment given a budget constraint. All NGO professionals operate under this 3 way constraint model.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

But ASA 5505 looks like a more powerful device for a cheaper , for nat and security.
What do I get with the router that i cant do with ASA?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

The ASA is quite limited in what you can do with dynamic routing protocols. The router gives you a much wider choice of dynamic routing. The router has many features, such as Policy Based Routing, that the ASA does not have. The router gives you a much wider range of choices for Quality of Service than the ASA. The router suppports a range of interface types while the ASA gives you support for only Ethernet.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card