cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1941 Gigabit

Jaidev Patel
Level 1
Level 1

I am interested in a Cisco 1941W or 1941 specs state it has 2 x Onboard LAN 10/100/1000. The datasheet sheet calls them WAN then LAN ports.

I've seen the Cisco Router performance PDF which states this model does upto 25Mbps throughput. 

Does this mean the router is not capable of 1GB throughput for the inbuilt LAN/WAN ports, local network traffic?

I am going to put in a HWIC-1ADSL, and later when the service is available a HWIC-1VDSL, is the router spec'd enough to handle VDSL traffic via the HWIC card? What would the max speeds be?

7 Replies 7

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The numbers are average throughput the router can support. Here is a document that lists 1941 as having 153 Mbps of throughput.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

153mb of UNENCRYPTED traffic.  If you want to encrypt, put a 50% penalty. 

Ok thanks, that's fine that WAN conectivity throughput is approx at 153Mbps unencrypted etc..  But are the On Board 1Gbit LAN ports also restricted to a lower (153Mbps) throughput? 

The entire unit can only do 153mb data throughput, not per port.

So can it even do 1Gbit of Local LAN switching with the 2 onboard LAN Ports?  If not then why is it advertised as 1000MB ports?

If not then why is it advertised as 1000MB ports?

If your throughput is 153mb, can you fit this in a 100mb interface? 

The two ports are routed ports.  You'll want a switch interface card if you want to do proper lan switching with it, in which case it will do line speed switching.  Also, the 153MB/s spec is based on 64 byte packets with no services enabled.  The unit can route 299,000 packets per second, so 64*8*299,000 = 153MB/s.  Take a more typical average "internet" packet size of 500 bytes and you get a throughput of just over 1 gigabit per second.  I've seen this figure confirmed by several reputable tests.  Again, this all decreases quite a bit when you add services etc. but the quoted 153MB/s is sort of a worst case scenario. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco