Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2612 Router: unknown flash device - mandev code = 0xffff

Gypsy Dave
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've just replaced my flash ram on my Cisco 2612 router. I'm getting the following error on boot up.

unknown flash device - mandev code = 0xffff
cannot read flash info
getdevnum warning: device "flash" has size of zero
get_man_dev: Unknown device - probably NOT formatted.

I looked at the specs for the actual memory chips on the 16MB flash and intel docs mentioned they were 5V so I'm quite sure its the right Flash for this unit as this unit requires 5v flash ram. 

Is there a way to format this or do I have the wrong flash ram for my unit?

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

Hello,

how much flash are you installing, 16 or 32 ? The 2612 is (obviously) an ancient device, I recall that on the 2620 and 2621 routers you needed to upgrade the Boot ROM as well in order so support more flash.

I happened to sell these DRAM modules a long time ago...can you post a picture of the one(s) you have ?

Hi, The Cisco documentation for the 2012 says maximum is 16MB but must be 5V not 3.3V.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/2600/hardware/installation/notes/2600mem.html

The intel chipset is the 16MB one and the other is the original 8MB one. My problem is I need to put a bigger iOS on and most are 10MB so won't fit on 8MB flash

EDIT: format flash: returns a "command format not found" error.

Thanks,

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Try format flash:

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card