Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2800 Series of integrated services routers with PRI line

shiranbaroukh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

Do anyonw know how to make this router work with PRI line in Israel? we are unable to make it work and assuming we need to integrate a PRI card. is this correct?

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That will work in any country of the world, if you have the right hardware and configuration - that you did not specify.

HI,

I have it with :

NAME:  "WIC/VIC/HWIC 3", DESCR: "VWIC2-2MFT-G703  - 2-Port RJ-48 Multiflex Trunk -  G.703"
PID: VWIC2-2MFT-G703   , VID: V01 , SN:  FOC1410441D

We are assuming that this voice card is for ISND and not PRI, but we are not sure. The PRI line is connected directly to the router Cisco 2801

ISDN and PRI are the same thing.

You have bought a -G703 version of the VWIC2 card, that costs more of the regular version, but it will be of no advantage for your case.

You also need a PVDM2 module sized accordingly to the number of channels you need to support.

It is always better to consult with a reputable Cisco expert before buying things and trying to make them work by yourself.

FIrst of all thanks for your help. We have this module in all our offices in the world and usually works fine with ISDN EU*4 lines. In other offices there is uaually a modem between the PRI and the router and in our case local telecom said there is no need if you have a PRI card.

The "modem" is probably an HDSL modem, some telco uses it, some do not, some do call it with another name.

You do not have to worry about that.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

I was just told I need to have ETSI protocol..I have no idea what is this and how to configure it.

Again, ETSI == ISDN == PRI.

You have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

I do have somthing to worry about as the line does not work

We cannot find what is wrong.

I mean you do not have to worry about compatibility when telco talks about stuff you are not familiar with. The cisco works fine.

If it doesn't work, to begin with you have to post output "show controllers E1" and mention if telco presents the circuit as balanced 120 Ohm on twisted pair, or unbalanced 75 Ohm on coaxial cable.

Then depending on the above you may need to check other things.

In any case if you had done a search for troubleshooting  you could have made a step ahead already.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: