Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2801 Issue slow performance

Hi, I have a cisco 2801 with a link MetroEthernet 4mb , a link frame relay 512 through which one vpn ipsec for Metro link just happen mailing services, website and vpn. We wanted to put the http traffic from the metro and in doing so the speed is extremely slow from the PC.

We checked the cpu and is in 15%, delete the nat table and still does not work, the memory is good, as a test, we remove the virtua-reassembly ip command, improved slightly but still the same.

We switched to test mode, connecting the underground link to a 1921 router and it works perfectly the speed is what we want, we returned the change because the router is being used for something else.

But I need to know how I can find out what is wrong with the 2801 if it's a hardware or software problem, because it is the configuration is the same used with the C1921 router that worked perfectly.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hi,

in your case there might be two things which i suspected.

1 your IOS is older version

2 you might have configured static or default route towards to the Interface not to the ip address.

like ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 serial 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 1

Please check

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have a cisco 2801 with a link MetroEthernet 4mb

Congestion maybe?

Can you post the output to the command "sh interface "?

Umesh Shetty
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco 1921 router supports,  Embedded hardware-accelerated VPN encryption with appropriate license enabled. Can you please share the IOS that you are using on the 1921 and any license if enabled. On a 2801 router IPsec is run in software. Usually at times when there is high IPsec traffic it hits the CPU and causes the CPU process to go high.

Do you have any control plane policing applied on your 2801 device, that is something that could stop packets hitting the CPU and because some of the  IPsec packets get dropped you face slowness. On a 1921 if you have the security license Ipsec traffic is handeled in hardware and not the CPU.

HTH

Regards

Umesh Shetty

Huh weird I wonder if it was doing software switching?

Turning off cef is definitely not the best practice

Have you tried reloading?

Also check if you can see cef switching is software or hardware level

I had rebooted and nothing ...

usasigcis
Level 1
Level 1

what code IOS are u running on the 2801 and whats your memory and flash?

also your cpu 15% is normal, however i d also check if there is duplex mismatch on thephysical int.

-Sinan

hi,

in your case there might be two things which i suspected.

1 your IOS is older version

2 you might have configured static or default route towards to the Interface not to the ip address.

like ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 serial 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 1

Please check

I solved the problem, but no sense. When I disable ip cef command everything works perfectly. Why is this happening?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: