Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2801 router issue

sameoj1881
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My 2801 router is not booting beyond this point, below is the output.

I tried to control break but it not working. I need to restore the IOS, how do I go about this.

Can someone please help, thanks.

Cisco IOS Software, 2801 Software (C2801-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(3g), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 06-Nov-06 03:00 by alnguyen

Image text-base: 0x600886DC, data-base: 0x62300000

Port Statistics for unclassified packets is not turned on.

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and

use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply

third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.

Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for

compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you

agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable

to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

export@cisco.com.

Cisco 2801 (revision 6.0) with 235520K/26624K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FCZ111620BD

2 FastEthernet interfaces

1 DSP, 8 Voice resources

DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.

191K bytes of NVRAM.

62720K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Press RETURN to get started!

*Aug 17 09:02:53.055: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface VoIP-Null0, changed state to up

*Aug 17 09:02:54.603: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down

*Aug 17 09:02:54.603: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to down

*Aug 17 09:02:55.395: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

*Aug 17 09:02:55.835: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Cisco IOS Software, 2801 Software (C2801-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(3g), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 06-Nov-06 03:00 by alnguyen

*Aug 17 09:02:55.843: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host Router is undergoing a cold start

*Aug 17 09:02:57.267: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to administratively down

*Aug 17 09:02:57.443: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to administratively down

*Aug 17 09:02:58.687: %DSPRM-5-UPDOWN: DSP 1 in slot 0, changed state to up

11 Replies 11

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

oluwaseyi

Your post describes your problem as a issue with booting. But what you have posted does not show a booting error. So I am not clear what the problem is.

When I see this message in the console output I generally assume that the booting has been successful:

Press RETURN to get started!

so what leads you to believe that you have a booting problem?

I do see in the console output:

*Aug 17 09:02:57.267: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to administratively down

*Aug 17 09:02:57.443: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to administratively down

and since these are the only interfaces mentioned in the version output:

Cisco 2801 (revision 6.0) with 235520K/26624K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FCZ111620BD

2 FastEthernet interfaces

1 DSP, 8 Voice resources

then I assume that the router has no connectivity. So remote access is not an alternative to try to fix the problem.

Has this router ever worked? Or is this a new router that you are just starting to work with?

Based on the little bit that you have shown us I would guess that the problem might be that the console was configured with no exec (perhaps attempting to do no exec-timeout but not typing enough characters) or that the router came with SDM using a one time password and that you did not change the password when you booted the router last time.

In any case my suggestion would be to try to do password recovery on this router.

Or if that does not work then you need to send us more information to show what the problem really is.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Rick,

Thanks for your help.

To start with the router has been in use before now and it was later kept in the store in good working condition.

The issue is that it does not boot to the user mode and all attempt to control break did not work. So I decided to restore the IOS.

And that was why I posted the output, as you can see below it booted but got stuck here:

"*Aug 17 09:02:58.687: %DSPRM-5-UPDOWN: DSP 1 in slot 0, changed state to up"

And it could not boot further. What do I do, please advice.

Thanks.

Hi,

as Rick has already described, according to the output the bootup process looks fine.

I suspect that your terminal client may not be configured correctly to connect to the router via console. Try following this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094465.shtml

hth

Ingo

Hi,

I am using putty as my terminal client, can you please tell me how to configure it correctly to allow the control break command.

Thanks.

Click top left icon -> Special Command -> Break

Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrolbox below.

Thanks buddie, it worked when I used it on 2500 series Cisco router but did not work for 2801 series Cisco router.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance.

I gave 100% correct information above and I'm rated a "2" ?

I'm not responsible for any problem that you can have, vent your frustration somewhere else.

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Have you tried to remove the DSP and see what happens?

It would appear that the client is working properly because its displaying the boot up output unless the config file on the router has the console port set to a different speed. If that's the case, you could just try to tinker with different speed / stopbits / etc settings and see if you have any luck.

The output I posted was copied after the DSP was removed.

Please advice me on what to do next as I need to use this router urgently.

Thanks.

there is another break key option if you are using a US style keyboard, there is a break button on top right hand corner, same button as the Pause; press the key with with or without shift/ctrl when console to the router while booting.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wait a sec, how could the router see that you have a DSP module when you've already pulled it out?

Did you pull out the DSP module and rebooted the router or rebooted the router THEN pulled the DSP module out?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card