Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 2811 router unable to copy ios image

we have cisco 2811 router. I am trying to copy image from rommon mode.. but unable to copy.

PFA. any one help much appreciated 

22 Replies 22

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Does the router have a CF or not?

Yes. we have CF. I have replaced CF, reboot the device, unplug and plugged power cable. 

but issue is still persists.  

Jose Lopez
Level 1
Level 1

Is the tftp in different network?

The Device is connected in our LAN network. able to take console via LAN. but i couldn't able copy the image.

mmanthe
Level 1
Level 1

IIRC everything has to be reachable via 'connected'.

@sankardevarajan1986 wrote:

we have cisco 2811 router. I am trying to copy image from rommon mode.. but unable to copy.

PFA. any one help much appreciated 

Your screenshot shows you giving the local host an address in a subnet that is different from your gateway. Remember, in ROMMON there is no routing protocol running per se. If you cannot reach your gateway from the IP you supplied via a same-subnet, 'connected' interface - you prob won't be able to get anywhere.

It would help if we had more information about the topology of this network. From the screenshot it appears that the Ethernet interface of this router has IP address 192.168.24.232 and that the tftp server is at 10.131.20.212. So the router is attempting to reach a server at a remote address. Is there some device connected to this router which can route the tftp requests to the server? If so then the address of that device needs to be specified as the gateway for tftpdnld on the router. The screenshot shows that the gateway is configured as 10.131.20.1. And the screenshot shows that the router attempted to arp for the gateway address and did not receive a response. The gateway needs to be in the same subnet as the router address.

If there is some device in the local subnet of the router address that can route to the server then changing the gateway for tftpdnld should resolve the problem. If not then the suggestion from Leo about using CF may be the way to go.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes you are correct. The Device is connected in our LAN network. i can able to take a device console via LAN. but i couldn't able copy the image.

The Device is connected in our LAN network. i can able to take a device console access via LAN. but i couldn't able copy the image.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. The error message says "address resolution <IP ADDRESS> timed out" means that the TFTPDNLD client as attempted to ping the TFTP IP address has failed. The only time this can happens is if there is no network connectivity.
2. I want to know if there is a CF or not. If there is no CF then there is no need to proceed any further. Without any CF, once the router reboots <SHRUGS> ...

The Device is connected in our LAN network. able to take console via LAN. but i couldn't able copy the image

Sam Smiley
Level 3
Level 3

TFTPDNLD will only work on interface fa0/0, if you are dead set on using TFTPDNLD ensure that your Ethernet cable is plugged into fa0/0. I would however transfer the image off of a USB key if you have physical access to the router.

Regards,

Sam

@Sam Smiley wrote:

I would however transfer the image off of a USB key if you have physical access to the router.

Would work if the the ROMmon has been upgraded but I doubt it.

May i know your doubt?

CSCO11304974
Level 1
Level 1

Login the device cisco 2811.

Enter the command # show run-config 

and capture the copy of ios image ..

Thanks ,

Praveen.N 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card