cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2900 IP overlap

Mbezayiff1
Level 1
Level 1

So I have a 2900 router that I have configured the GI0/0 port with 10.1.209.266/24 and can ping the outgoing interface from the router however I'm trying to set up the GI0/1 port with an IP but keep getting an IP overlap when trying to put in a IP on that interface. I know that technically the 2 ports are in different Vlans but going up one subnet I am getting no where.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I set the GI0/0 port up for 10.1.209.0/28 and set the router GI0/0 port with .266 and I can ping out to the next interface, reset the GI0/1 port and reconfig'd it with a different ip/sub and can now ping from my laptop all the way. thanks

View solution in original post

So just to follow-up and correct myself as well, I changed the GI0/0 port to a 10.1.209.226 using 10.1.209.240/28 reset the outside interface to 10.1.209.225 and changed the subnet on the GI0/1 port with a valid IP and subnet, and it all works now. Too many changes occurring can be confusing at times. Again thanks

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't use an IP from the 10.1.209.0/24 subnet on gi0/1, it would have to be from a different subnet. 

What are you trying to do ? 

Jon

Trying to config the GI0/1 port with a viable IP to ping out to the interface. I placed a no ip on the GI0/1 and tried with a sub interface, installed a switch and I can hit the sub interface but still can hit the gi0/0 port, so somewhere my subnet calc's are off

can you more elaborate issue I don't get it?

so I changed the interface on the GI0/0 port to a /28 subnet, and can get to the outside, but still having an issue with the GI0/1 port where I'm not hitting the GI0/0 port 

router have two port g0/0 and g0/1 
each one must have specific IP from different subnet, here use ONLINE subnet calculator to see if there is overlap or not
also
point to check

show ip interface brief <- check the interface is UP/UP

check if there is NAT between

Hello.

Are you trying to add an IP that's a /24 on one interface and a /28 on the other interface within the same network? If that's the case  and the /28 subnet falls within the /24 subnet, it will not work. As @Jon Marshall pointed out you cannot have IPs configured on a router on different interfaces in the same subnet. The /24 encompasses all 254 addresses. So a /28 network thats falls within those 254 addresses are not valid on the same router.

For example:

If your G0/0 interface was configured with 10.1.209.266/24 - that means no other interface on that router can be configured in the 10.1.209.1/24 subnet. If as you said you changed the G0/1 interface to a /28 subnet, if that /28 was something like 10.1.209.0/28 it wont works because that IP subnet falls within the /24 subnet from the other interface. You would need to configure something like 10.1.210.1/24.

Can you provide a diagram with labels and IPs you have configured to help understand better.

-David

I set the GI0/0 port up for 10.1.209.0/28 and set the router GI0/0 port with .266 and I can ping out to the next interface, reset the GI0/1 port and reconfig'd it with a different ip/sub and can now ping from my laptop all the way. thanks

So just to follow-up and correct myself as well, I changed the GI0/0 port to a 10.1.209.226 using 10.1.209.240/28 reset the outside interface to 10.1.209.225 and changed the subnet on the GI0/1 port with a valid IP and subnet, and it all works now. Too many changes occurring can be confusing at times. Again thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card