Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2921 speed bottleneck.

m.x
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

For one of our customers I configured a Cisco 2921. They are using multiple EVC. One of them is an 500Mb. Somehow when the data passes through the Cisco my speestest does not go over 280Mb. I checked the config and believe that it is correct, but have added it as an attachment.

So are there known issues with a Cisco 2921 and an EHWIC-D-8ESG when it comes to speeds above 300Mb? Or is its firmware?

Any help would be appriciated!

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Cisco 2921 won't support speeds of >245 Mbps.

View solution in original post

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here is the good throughput performance for your reference :(attached)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
It's likely a hardware issue, i.e. there's only so much CPU capacity.

On 2900 series ISRs, throughput varies very, very much based on different factors. The two main factors are the size of the packets and what additional functions are performed on those packets as they transit the router.

The white paper provided by Balaji show the 2921 has been shown it can achieve a throughput of 3.5 Gbps, but that's when processing all 1500 sized packets, and doing nothing but basic forwarding. I.e. performance you'll likely never see in the "real world".

Later tables in the same document show performance applying different "services", for an "Internet mix" of packet sizes and not exceeding an CPU average of 75%. For these, you see a huge drop of performance, down in the low 100+ Mbps range.

Because Cisco doesn't want you to run out of performance, they advise (also shown in a Balaji post) to only use a 2921 on 50 Mbps WAN circuits (such circuits are duplex, so they are advising to plan on not obtaining more than 100 Mbps, in aggregate). However, can you obtain more than 100 Mbps? Possibly yes (as shown by your speedtest results of 280 Mbps), but how much more is a very much it depends question.

For 500 Mbps, you'll want/need a router with more performance/capacity.

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Cisco 2921 won't support speeds of >245 Mbps.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here is the good throughput performance for your reference :(attached)

BB

Thank you both for responding!! 

@bb I am new to networking, just got CCNA, and am not native English. How should I read this? The first table says:

Cisco 2921 3502 Mbps (1500-byte packets) what does this mean? Even if I multiply by 8 its nowhere near 245Mb?

Thanks in advance

isr.JPG

BB

Hello,

on a side note, there is no dialer-list associated with dialer-group 5 (unless that is on purpose). You also might want to add the tcp adjust-mss settings:

interface Dialer4
description WAN-PPPoE-DATA-2
mtu 1492
ip vrf forwarding DATA2
ip address negotiated
no ip redirects
no ip proxy-arp
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly in
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 5
dialer-group 5

ip tcp adjust-mss 1452
ppp authentication pap callin
ppp pap sent-username inlog password 7
no cdp enable

!

--> dialer-list 5 protocol ip permit

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
It's likely a hardware issue, i.e. there's only so much CPU capacity.

On 2900 series ISRs, throughput varies very, very much based on different factors. The two main factors are the size of the packets and what additional functions are performed on those packets as they transit the router.

The white paper provided by Balaji show the 2921 has been shown it can achieve a throughput of 3.5 Gbps, but that's when processing all 1500 sized packets, and doing nothing but basic forwarding. I.e. performance you'll likely never see in the "real world".

Later tables in the same document show performance applying different "services", for an "Internet mix" of packet sizes and not exceeding an CPU average of 75%. For these, you see a huge drop of performance, down in the low 100+ Mbps range.

Because Cisco doesn't want you to run out of performance, they advise (also shown in a Balaji post) to only use a 2921 on 50 Mbps WAN circuits (such circuits are duplex, so they are advising to plan on not obtaining more than 100 Mbps, in aggregate). However, can you obtain more than 100 Mbps? Possibly yes (as shown by your speedtest results of 280 Mbps), but how much more is a very much it depends question.

For 500 Mbps, you'll want/need a router with more performance/capacity.

Also, the 2921 is end of sale as of 2016. The ISR4331 is the recommended replacement...

Thank you all for helping!

i konw I need to replace the router! 

Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card