Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2921 with Telekom Malaysia

billen1311
Level 1
Level 1

Good evening,

we are wokring on a project for a company with an office in Kuala Lumpur. The office currently has a VDSL circuit with Telekom Malaysia which has also provided them with a VDSL modem. I've been told that Telekom Malaysia is tagging the traffic and is using VLAN500 to do so. We have decided to use Cisco 2921 for our network, connect it to the VDSL modem and setup VLAN tagging for VLAN500 on the WAN interface of the Cisco but some of our consultants disagree that this will work.

My question is; has anyone ever dealt with configuring a Cisco device for a Malaysian ISP and if so, can what I am suggesting be done?

Our contact in Malaysia has specified that the router should have an Ethernet WAN interface, VLAN tagging capabilities on the WAN interface and be configured with a PPPoE MTU1492.

Thank you

3 Replies 3

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

We have several MetroEs and E1s with TM. I'm not sure if we've had any DSL circuit with them.

I would agree with what your consultant has suggested and IMHO an 2921 could be an overkill (given the right WIC). Why not look at an 800 ISR?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11063/index.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thank you for your reply!

2921 was chosen becase we're also setting up a VPN tunnel, VoIP and a couple more services on the same router (firewall as well). Also, we decided to get a very powerful device now to accommodate any potential future growth.

My concern is whether Cisco routers can do what the cheap Telekom Malaysia routers do in terms of tagging/untagging packets or not?

Thank you

Hi,

The term 'tagging' is a switch function. Maybe you should be looking at a multilayer switch to achieve your goal?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card