Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO 3550 48-port Switch Configuration Problem

arup28169
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Hello! I'm a CISCO user from Bangladesh. We are running an ISP here. We have a CISCO 3550 48-port switch here. it's connected to a CISCO Router (7200 series VXR), which is our Core Router with IIG connectivity. That connected Switch used as distribution switch and it's in Layer-3 mode. We have distributated BW to our clients around our office location from this switch. Now We want to connect another CISCO 3550 switch from this distribution switch. This new switch will also be in Layer-3 mode. We'll setup this switch into our another office location and Clients around that office location will be connected from this new switch. We want to distribute BW from this new switch like our existing distribution switch. So connection will be:

Core Router (IIG) --> Distribution Switch (Layer-3) --> New switch (Layer-3)

We've configured a port in both switch (Port-33 in distribution switch & port-48 in new switch). That means Port-48 of new switch will be connected from Port-33 of distribution switch. so Port-48 of new switch will act as Uplink. Clients will run from other ports. Please check attachment for configuration of both switch. But problem is: When we are connecting client from other port (Port-5 as example) of that new switch, that port not activating. Port remains orange color and not becoming green. so no Internet in client's PC and showing "Destination host unreachable" error while ping. But Uplink (Port-48) is ok and We can access that new switch from anywhere of our network using IP address assigned to Port-48. Ping and traceroute also working inside that switch. Just connected clients from other ports not getting any internet. is there any issue with routing in that switch?

Any kind of help is welcome.

Regards.

5 Replies 5

Hello.

After you connect the client to the port (port 5) wait at least 50 seconds and then check if it changes to green (STP convergence).

If it becomes green in 50 seconds, you may configure the port as "span-tree portfast".

I've waited for more than 15 mins. but port staying orange, not green. I've noticed another thing. If I assign IP into that port like:

interface FastEthernet0/5

no switchport

ip address <ip> <subnet>

then that port becomes green when I connect it with PC (client). That means assigning IP directly in port (without any VLAN) is working. but problem is there's still no internet in PC. ping request showing:

Request timed out

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 from PC showing request dropped out after reaching distribution switch Port (Port-33). no reply after that port.

"show vlan br" - do you see VLAN 2 in the list?

No. vlan2 not showing in list. although vlan2 is there and configured. but why not showing in there?

but all vlan configured in distribution switch is ok and showing in list. problem is with that new switch only.

Hello.

You need to create vlan 2 on your switch ("vlan 2" command).

That is the exact reason, why you see the port staying orange.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card