Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3800 Series - Traffic Shaping vs. Policy Question

michaelfusco1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I have 5 Cisco 3800 series routers:

Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3845-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(24)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

And 3 Cisco 3800 series routers:

Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3845-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.1(4)M3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I see the commands for "shape" and "traffic-shape" in documents which are only avialable on my 12.x IOS.. what are the equlivant commands for shaping on the IOS 15.x?

Secondly, any Guidance/opinons/learned lessons on the best use of traffic-shape, rate-limit, bandwidth for traffic shapping Ethernet Circuits from CPE to WAN for Internet access?

Any issues with Class-Map/Policy-Map/cef/ for QoS rules when using Traffic Shapping. example if I say 40% of link, is that based upon the traffic shape or interface speed?

Really apprecaite any opinions on this and if an commands (not perfect, just direction) would be awesome.

Thank You

Michael

1 Reply 1

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

Traffic shaping is available on 15.x code. It is under qos policy-map. Shaping is commonly used when WAN router is getting sub-rated WAN circuit. To avoid packet drops on PE router, CE router usually shape the traffic down to 95% of the CIR, and then add the normal QoS policy under the shaper. This is called H-QoS in Cisco doc.

HTH,
Lei Tian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card