cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4351 8Gb Flash Upgrade - How to load IOS?

Aileron88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a Cisco 4351X with the 8GB Flash upgrade (MEM-FLSH-8G=) & this has been installed. I can't find any good documentation on how to actually transfer an IOS on to the new flash though, as installation of this disables the onboard router memory. I would normally expect to xmodem over but I see no copy command in rommon.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Adam 

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have a flash reader in my machine, so I just plug in the flash card and then copy the file.

If you don't have one, you can buy really cheap USB flash readers, and plug it into your machine, and then copy the file onto it.

Another method that may work.  Put the image on a USB memory key.  Plug that into the routers USB port.  Then copy the file from the memory key (usually usbflash0:) to your internal flash device.

Thanks Philip.

The flash here is different to a normal Compact Flash card - I've attached a photo. I didn't get a copy command in rommon - any ideas?

Thanks,

Adam

That is different!  Do you have the tftpdnld command?

Another easier option might be to put the bin file on another flash card, plug it into the external flash slot, tell the router to boot from that temporarily.  Now the router is running you can re-format the new internal flash and put the software onto it.

Hi

Where can  i  buy this card and what is the price? do you have some information about the card?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card