Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4431 High Availability between two WAN or MPLS links

Luis Carranza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I got a question about the cisco 4431, is it possible for this device to handle a High Availability (active-stanby) configuration between two WAN or MPLS links? I'm a little confuse if the device needs the VIPTELA or DNA license or it doesn't need any special license.

Also i'm a noob in VIPTELA or DNA fields so that why i'm asking.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

High Availability means, Are you looking only WAN to WAN or MPLS to MPLS on a single chassis or both are connected on the different Chassis?

If both are on the same chassis then you can go with IPSLA and tracks with floating routing. If both are on the different chassis then many options (protocols) are there and you can go with Inter-Chassis High Availability 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

My scenario is MPLS to MPLS on the same chassis.

Also i'm looking at this documentation https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/4400/software/configuration/xe-16-9/isr4400swcfg-xe-16-9-book/configuring_high_availability.pdf but it for the HA scenario when you have two devices. 

I guess my option will be the IPSLA or tracking for the interfaces right? Do you have any documentation for that because I cannot find it.

Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card