Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6500 Processor memory and BGP/RIB table

nileshrathi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have a couple of 6500 series switches and have 3 BGP peerings to each. The 6500 series switches are loaded with WS-SUP720-3B Supervisor Engine. I believe there is a limit to the number of IPv4 routes WS-SUP720-3B supports(256,000). We also have "soft-reconfiguration inbound" configured on the BGP peerings. Thus when I do a "show ip bgp A.B.C.D" it displays three routes from 3 BGP peers and it displays an additional 3 "received-only routes" which I think is due to the "soft-reconfiguration inbound" configuration. We currently filter inbound routes from the BGP peers to be between /0 and /27

We are now looking to add another 2 BGP peerings. I am not too sure if the WS-SUP720-3B will be able to handle all the BGP routes. Is this limit of 256,000 IPv4 routes due to Processor memory limitation or is it software related? Would removing the "soft-reconfiguration inbound" save me some memory ?

Any help on this topic would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Nilesh

1 Reply 1

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The limitation will impact routes stored in the routing table.

If you have 3 BGP routes, only one will be the 'best' route and only one will count against the ASIC limit.

Regards,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card