Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6509-E Sup-720-3B Failover Guide

Hamidsattarrana
Level 1
Level 1

HI!

I want to know about different redundancy how fail over works in Cisco 6509-E with 2 Sup-720-3B supervisors?

Do I need to connect those 2 supervisors active and standby via Ethernet cable for fail over or it some kind of internal process?

RPR and SSO both are supported. Can someone briefly tell me which one should i use RPR or SSO?

And how can I test failover?

2 Replies 2

Hello, 

as far as I recall, you need to use slots 5 and 6 for the active and the standby (hot) suoervisor engines. You don't need an external connection, the failover is an internal process.

SSO is the latest in the evolution for redundancy failover. First was RPR, the RPR+, and the SSO. So SSO is recommended.

Have a look at the interesting article below:

RPR vs RPR+ vs SSO

https://ipwithease.com/rpr-vs-rpr-vs-sso/

In addition to the information provided by Geog, to further improve fail-over, you may want to configure NSF (non-stop forwarding), to minimize the impact to L3.

Also as to which slots the supervisors need to be placed in, I recall they differ on the smaller 6500s, like the 6503 and 6504, neither of which have a fifth or sixth slot.  (I also don't recall if the 6503 supports dual sups, but recall [?] the 6504 does.)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card