cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7200VXR

andrewpaulsen
Level 1
Level 1

I'm Currently working on a project to upgrade existing network from 1gig to 10 GIG and i can't seem to find out if the 7200VXR router can support this upgrade. we currently use SFP modules and the most of the gear i have support the upgrade to SFP+ for 10 gig but not sure if the router which is our BGP as well will support this. i have spent hours reading and looking into material to see if it is supported. 

Gbic ??

Gbic 10 gig??

X2 module ??

Can someone please help me on this. also the company i work for has expressed that there is no way to ugrade routers at this point. so i have to make it work.

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'm Currently working on a project to upgrade existing network from 1gig to 10 GIG and i can't seem to find out if the 7200VXR router can support this upgrade. 

Even with an NPE-G2 card, the 7200VXR isn't designed support >1.5 Gbps per chassis.

For 10 Gbps you'll need to look at an ASR 1002-X with 36 Gbps license activated or an ASR 1004 with RP2 and ESP 40.

i've looked at this option and unfortunately for me it doesn't fit within the budget but i have looked at the 4451-x ISR router which does now i just have to find the module that has 2 SFP+ 10 gig ports 

i've looked at this option and unfortunately for me it doesn't fit within the budget but i have looked at the 4451-x ISR router which does now i just have to find the module that has 2 SFP+ 10 gig ports 

I understand your predicament.  

Exactly what will be the WAN bandwidth are you trying to push?  

Be aware that the 4451-X is "rated" by the Data Sheet at 1- to 2 Gbps.  Data Sheets were never authored by technical people.  Instead they are authored by the marketing people.  The rated speed of 1- to 2 Gbps is the SUM of the both the outgoing and incoming speed.  So in reality, the 4451-X can push up to 1 Gbps.  And also note the 1 Gbps true speed (1 Gbps inbound and 1 Gbps outbound) is expressed with NO ENCRYPTION.  If you want encryption, halve the value and this is what you'll get.  

thanks for the information i have been looking into all options the overall scenarios is as follows. that i need to be able to do.

1. 10 gig bandwidth provided by tier 1 provider goes through the core i need a BGP router that supports 10gig SFP+ connections as the core is the only part that will have 10 gig the OSPF router will be setup only with 1 gig connections but with about 10 or so connections, so in total be able to hit core at 10 gig but in reality probably only about half of that will be actual usage.

Hi,

I have the same project now :) . So I'm currently working to upgrade existing network from 1Gig to 10 GIG.

We have two sites.
On the one hand we have one C6503-E with Sup720 (Site B)
And the other hand two 7206VXR routers with NPEG1 (Site A).
Both site are interconnected in 1Gig and I used BGP default route (not full table) and basic config (VLAN, HSRP....etc).
I understood that 7200VXR doesn't support 10Gig.

What do I need to migrate ?

I guess, on the site A, the ASR1001-X will replace the 7206VXR -NPEG1
The ASR1001-X - 8G RAM with 6 Gig + 2 Ten Gig interfaces, with 1 expansion slot.

One the site B, we'll replace the Sup720 by VS-S720-10G-3C in 6503-E.

what do you think of it ?

Thanks

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The ASR would be the logical replacement for the 7206, assuming it has all the interfaces you need.

The VS-S720 would be one way to obtain 10g in your 6503-E, as would a 10G line card (if you have a slot available).  You might also, though, consider the sup2T as a 10g sup replacement.

Also for your 6503 upgrade, depending on your port needs, maybe something like a 6840-X or 6880-X would be an option too.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I don't recall there ever being a 10g interface for a 7200.  The "fastest" forwarding engine for a 7200VXR would be the NSE-1. but it too, if there was a 10g interface, it would struggle with such.

For 10g an ASR 1k router would be your best choice.  Besides the models Leo has mentioned, the relatively new ASR 1001-X might be a candidate too.

If the ASR 1001-X is still too much for your budget, about your only other choice, for 10g performance, would be to consider a L3 switch that supports 10g.  If you look at L3 switches, carefully check your required features.  Also you might want to look at MetroE variants.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card