Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7206VXR Gigabit ethernet port

sumit menaria
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have not dealt much in the hardware part ,so please excuse me if I am being naive.

We have a Cisco7206VXR and I want to connect two Gigabit ethernet optical links to it .

For first one , I want to free one of the existing port  Gig0/3 which is having media type RJ45 and convert it to 1 Gig Optical port.

It is showing it is in GBIC Port Container 0/3 ,So will adding an SFP-SX  do my work or I would have to plan something else?

For the second port , should I get a PA-GE card and a 1000BASE-SX SFP or a PA-GE card with GBIC-SX .

Inventory details of the router is as below.

hostname#sh inventory raw
NAME: "Chassis", DESCR: "Cisco 7206VXR, 6-slot chassis"
PID: CISCO7206VXR      , VID:    , SN: 23665845

NAME: "I/O and CPU Slot 0", DESCR: "I/O and Processor Slot Container"
PID:                   , VID:    , SN:

NAME: "NPE-G1 0", DESCR: "Cisco 7200 Series Network Processing Engine NPE-G1"
PID: NPE-G1            , VID:    , SN: 30987439

NAME: "GBIC Port Container 0/1", DESCR: "GBIC Port Container"

NAME: "GigabitEthernet0/1", DESCR: "BCM1250 Internal MAC"

NAME: "GBIC Port Container 0/2", DESCR: "GBIC Port Container"

NAME: "GigabitEthernet0/2", DESCR: "BCM1250 Internal MAC"

NAME: "GBIC Port Container 0/3", DESCR: "GBIC Port Container"

NAME: "GigabitEthernet0/3", DESCR: "BCM1250 Internal MAC"

NAME: "Flash Card Slot Container CPU", DESCR: "Flash Card Slot Container CPU"

NAME: "disk2", DESCR: "128MB Compact Flash Disk for NPE-G1"
PID: MEM-NPE-G1-FLD128 , VID:    , SN:

NAME: "NPE Inlet Temperature 0", DESCR: "NPE Inlet Temperature Sensor"

NAME: "NPE Outlet Temperature 0", DESCR: "NPE Outlet Temperature Sensor"

NAME: "+3.45 V Voltage 0", DESCR: "+3.45 V  Voltage Sensor"

NAME: "+5.15 V Voltage 0", DESCR: "+5.15 V  Voltage Sensor"

NAME: "+12.15 V Voltage 0", DESCR: "+12.15 V  Voltage Sensor"

NAME: "-11.95 V Voltage 0", DESCR: "-11.95 V  Voltage Sensor"

NAME: "Gi0/1", DESCR: "BCM1250 Internal MAC RJ45"

NAME: "Gi0/2", DESCR: "BCM1250 Internal MAC RJ45"

NAME: "Gi0/3", DESCR: "BCM1250 Internal MAC RJ45"

NAME: "PA Slot 1", DESCR: "PA Slot Container"

NAME: "PA Slot 2", DESCR: "PA Slot Container"

NAME: "PA Slot 3", DESCR: "PA Slot Container"

NAME: "PA Slot 4", DESCR: "PA Slot Container"

NAME: "module 4", DESCR: "FastEthernet"
PID: PA-FE-TX          , VID:    , SN: 24480039

NAME: "FastEthernet4/0", DESCR: "DEC21140A"

NAME: "PA Slot 5", DESCR: "PA Slot Container"

NAME: "module 5", DESCR: "FastEthernet"
PID: PA-FE-TX          , VID:    , SN: 14203387

NAME: "FastEthernet5/0", DESCR: "DEC21140A"

NAME: "PA Slot 6", DESCR: "PA Slot Container"

NAME: "module 6", DESCR: "ATM WAN DS3 Port Adaptor"
PID: PA-A3-T3=         , VID:    , SN: 29560306

NAME: "ATM6/0", DESCR: "ENHANCED ATM PA"

NAME: "PEM 0", DESCR: "Power Supply Container"

NAME: "Power Supply 1", DESCR: "Cisco 7200 AC Power Supply"
PID: PWR-7200-AC       , VID:    , SN:

NAME: "PEM 1", DESCR: "Power Supply Container"

NAME: "Power Supply 2", DESCR: "Cisco 7200 AC Power Supply"
PID: PWR-7200-AC       , VID:    , SN:

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

7200 routers have a unique system called "bandwidth points".  This means you have a limited amount of line cards you can use.  Go HERE to look at what bandwidth points and stay within the limits.

Well i already checked the link and as per it for the NPE-G1 processor ,the Gig ethernet interface on it are not calculated for the bandwidth points.

Does it mean that I can use all the 3 Gig Ethernet ports on the the NPE-G1 ,what would be the maximum effective bandwidth achieved on NPE-G1 in this case.

NPE-G1 or NPE-G2

Left side, bus 1 (slots 1, 3, and 5) and I/O controller (slot 0) has a 600 point maximum.

Right side, bus 2 (slots 2, 4, and 6) has a 600 point maximum.

Distribute port adapter bandwidth points evenly across both left and right system slots (buses).

Do not calculate bandwidth points for an I/O controller if an I/O controller is installed with the NPE-G1 or NPE-G2.

The NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces do not use bandwidth points.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Leo has answered your question, but a NPE-1G is actually a bit underpowered for even a single gig port.  The 1G is for 1 Mpps, while a gig Ethernet port (duplex) can need up to about 3 Mpps.

Well i already checked the link and as per it for the NPE-G1 processor ,the Gig ethernet interface on it are not calculated for the bandwidth points.

Does it mean that I can use all the 3 Gig Ethernet ports on the the NPE-G1 ,what would be the maximum effective bandwidth achieved on NPE-G1 in this case.

NPE-G1 or NPE-G2

Left side, bus 1 (slots 1, 3, and 5) and I/O controller (slot 0) has a 600 point maximum.

Right side, bus 2 (slots 2, 4, and 6) has a 600 point maximum.

Distribute port adapter bandwidth points evenly across both left and right system slots (buses).

Do not calculate bandwidth points for an I/O controller if an I/O controller is installed with the NPE-G1 or NPE-G2.

The NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces do not use bandwidth points.

"Bandwidth points" is not to be confused with throughput.  

If you want to push 1 Gbps throughput, then NPE-G2 is NOT the solution.  The entire 7200VXR with NPE-G2 can push 1 Gbps (total) but not on a single link.  If you've got a 1 Gbps WAN link and 1 Gbps LAN link, then you'll not get the throughput you seek.  

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Bandwidth points are, I believe, concerned with the PCI buses that support the slots.  The gig ports on the NPE, itself, I also believe, have their own bandwidth to the system.  So, that's not a problem.

What's the issue, though, the NPR-G1 on has so much capacity.  Again, it's rated at 1 Mpps.  Ethernet, for minimum size packets, needs 1.488 Mpps per gig (double for duplex).  The processor also uses its capacity for control plane functions and extra processing for things like ACLs, NAT, policy maps, QOS, etc., while forwarding packets.

So, depending on your traffic load, and your configuration, you might run out of capacity well before you saturate a gig port.

BTW, the 2821 also has gig ports, but it has even much less capacity.  If you search these forums, you'll find posts asking why the 2821 is unable to keep up with a full gig flow.

The NPE-G1 having more capacity, you don't bump into the same issues as soon, but you can bump into it.  (I've seen NPE-G2, 2x the capacity, run out of CPU capacity with just a pair of gig ports.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card