Helpful
Replies

Cisco 819 lost everything on flash, but is still working ? please help

AndersBramsen
Level 1
Level 1

First some info:

System image file is "flash:c800-universalk9-mz.SPA.152-4.M1.bin"

Cisco C819HG+7-K9 (revision 3.0) with 492620K/31667K bytes of memory.

cisco819#sh flash:

-#- --length-- -----date/time------ path

1     50833244 Feb 29 1984 00:01:00 +00:00 c800-universalk9-mz.SPA.152-4.M1.bin

209338368 bytes available (50835456 bytes used)

cisco819#

Cisco site sayes that latest image for My Router should be the one loaded right now...

It working, but unable to see certain things in cisco configuration proffesional...Fx Cellular 0

I tryed to downgrade, wich resultet in something like " Unsigned imaged found, Bailing out" then I had to do a tftpdnld, to recover the latest ios from Cisco

Stupid me, did not take a backup before it was to late

Anyway i did make it work again, but here comes my question

When i did the tftpdnld it told me that everythin was erassedm but i had no other way..

After a succesfull tftpdnld. i reboot and amazingly i had internet again

The strange thing is....I have a running-config if i ssh to it. but according to my flash: there is only my IOS.BIN

How is that working?

Anyone know where the latest working image can be found. because Cisco states the the one right now i the right..but still i cant see cellular 0 in CCP

But ita actualy the one making me able to write to this site, right now

BR Anders Bramsen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Anders,

When i did the tftpdnld it told me that everythin was erassedm but i had no other way..

This is because the configuration on Cisco routers is not stored in the FLASH memory but rather in a different place (and chip) called the NVRAM memory. This reason for this is historical - FLASH memory can be rewritten only a limited number of times and therefore it was not suitable to hold the startup-config file that can rewritten frequently. Your FLASH memory may really have been erased after the tftpdnld command but it did not damage your configuration stored in NVRAM. Try using the dir nvram: command to see its contents.

In order to download images for your Cisco router, you need to have a valid support contract. Cisco does not publish IOS images for free access.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Anders,

This is because the configuration on Cisco routers is not stored in the FLASH memory but rather in a different place (and chip) called the NVRAM memory. This reason for this is historical - FLASH memory can be rewritten only a limited number of times and therefore it was not suitable to hold the startup-config file that can rewritten frequently. Your FLASH memory may really have been erased after the tftpdnld command but it did not damage your configuration stored in NVRAM. Try using the dir nvram: command to see its contents.

In order to download images for your Cisco router, you need to have a valid support contract. Cisco does not publish IOS images for free access.

Best regards,

Peter

Thx, i have a valid contract, but not shure what version Will make cellular 0 visible in ccp?

Hello Anders,

Are you able to telnet or SSH into the router and use its command line to operate it? If yes, can you enter the show ip interfaces brief command and post the results here? If the Cell0 interface is visible in the output then the IOS already recognizes this interface, and you perhaps need to upgrade your CCP.

Best regards,

Peter

Yes i Can SSH and also see int cel 0

But after upgrade not in ccp version 2.6

And i belive that it's  the latest version..

And the router is Working

Hi Anders,

As I am not working with CCP, I do not know what to do with the CCP for the interface Cell0 to start appearing in it. Sorry about this. Perhaps this is the moment where you should forget about CCP anyway, and start learning the command line. It is not going to play tricks on you like CCP does.

By the way, what was the change that resulted in your CCP not showing you the Cell0 interface, anyway?

Best regards,

Peter

I gues it was the erase Of the flash

I Think that normaly there should also ve some other files

Fx to cp and log files and so on

Hello Anders,

As far as I know SDM and CCP, there should be no files necessary to be installed on the router's FLASH. I know that routers come with CCP "preinstalled" on their FLASH, however, that is done only to allow you run the CCP in a browser windows directly from the router's FLASH without requiring you to install it on your hard drive. However, if you have CCP installed locally on your PC, no additional files on the router should be necessary.

Best regards,

Peter

as far as I can see. this should be the correct ios ?

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283823528&softwareid=280805680&release=15.2.4M1&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

ahhhh...wait just found this one...

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/support/dashboard.html?deviceId=225330

Cisco 819 Integrated Services Router

Release Version :  15.2(3)T1
Category :  Routers
Sub-Category :  Branch Routers
Series :  Cisco 800 Series Routers
Model :  Cisco 819 Integrated Services Router
Software Name :  IOS Software

and i belive that maybe if i go down one step then it should work again?

So maybe I should downgrade to 15.2.3T1 thats the one it was delivvered with

but is there any difference between  the firs ios i linked to and the one I posted here,,15.2.4M(ED)

Hello Anders,

Personally, I would try to avoid 'T' versions of IOS. They are development versions and may contain several bugs (not that the 'M' would not contain any ). If you are currently running the 15.2.4M1 version, I suggest trying the 15.1.4M4 instead.

Best regards,

Peter

thx Peter...

But if I look at

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/support/dashboard.html?deviceId=225330

is that not the version the Box ships with?

Br Anders

Is wish there was anyone in here beside me having the same model, so i could see what version it should be..working with ccp

Hi Anders,

Even if the box was not shipped with this particular IOS version, Cisco nonetheless guarantees that the 15.1(4)M4 IOS will run on your platform. IOS versions on shipped routers are absolutely not to be considered as versions recommended or preferred by Cisco just because they were preinstalled.

Best regards,

Peter

Thx Peter...So I should just try

c800-universalk9-mz.SPA.151-4.M4.bin

Does The T Stand for Test

And MD Mid development?

Hello Anders,

'T' standing for "testing" - I guess you could say that. Although I do not recall ever seeing an official explanation of the meaning of the 'T' designation, it is nonetheless fitting.

MD stands for Mainline Deployment if my memory serves - essentially a stable version.

Best regards,

Peter

cisco819#dir nvram:

Directory of nvram:/

249  -rw-        3638                      startup-config

250  ----        1914                      private-config

251  -rw-        3638                      underlying-config

1  -rw-        2945                      cwmp_inventory

4  ----          70                      persistent-data

5  -rw-         559                      IOS-Self-Sig#1.cer

6  -rw-          17                      ecfm_ieee_mib

7  -rw-           0                      ifIndex-table

8  -rw-         559                      IOS-Self-Sig#2.cer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card