Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 837 ADSL Router Setup Problem

Performance-Pcs
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a bit of an issue setting up an Cisco 837/SOHO ADSL Router. 

Basically what it is is that my Broadband router isnt doing its job very well, and the last piece of the puzzle in the server area is to upgrade the router, and I have with this.  Now.  I hve followed the setups as per cisco's guidlines very well and doen alot of research on the CLI commands, I have access to the router and have setup the system. 

My broadband in the office is Orange/EE and its PPPoA.  I hvae all the settings, and such and have followed a set of commands that apply to BT broadband but, It simply hasnt worked in my case. Can someone point or give me the CLI commands to setup this router please so itll replace my business livebox.

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Subeh Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

HI Kai,

Please paste the relevant configuration along with 'show dsl interface atm0' command here to get started on this.

Regards,

Subeh    

Current configuration as per the Livebox currently..

Internet
ProtocolPPPoA
VPI/VCI0/38
EncapsulationVC MUX
ADSL ModeG992.5(ADSL2+)
Subnet Mask255.255.255.255
Gateway213.1.112.197
Primary DNS87.237.17.199
Secondary DNS87.237.17.167
Features
WirelessEnabled
FirewallEnabled
UPnPEnabled

LAN & Wireless(Default)
Gateway192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask255.255.255.0
DHCP ServerEnabled

Details as per the CLI when I use the command show DSL interface ATM0

Trying to bring up DSL line using Embedded firmware

Line has not yet been activated.  No information available.

Training log buffer capability is not enabled yet.

Ill completely reset the router and start a new firmware configuration if neccessary..

Hi,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps4874/product_data_sheet09186a008010e5c5.html

I don't see any G992.5 support here so you should either get a ADSL2+ compatible router or keep your modem/router.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

So this router cant run on standard ADSL with my connection?? 

Hi,

this router is a ADSL router not ADSL2+ router so it won't work with the WAN interface.

Now if the LAN interfaces can be configured as L3 ports then you could do PPPoE on one of them by connecting it to the modem/router put in bridged mode( no more router but only modem).

Regards

Alain

Cheers Alain,

That would be fine, as I have a Cisco 2600 Router, thatll be going to a 515e firewall..  So how do I configure this bad boy to be a modem only?

Thanks

Hi,

you should find this out by googling because I don't own a livebox and every modem/router is different so I can't tell you how to achieve this with yours.

Regards

Alain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card