cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 871 Help

wlewis2488
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue with a Cisco 871. I have a dsl modem in Bridging mode connect to provide connectivity thru the WAN port to the 871, and then have a VPN tunnel back to my network. When the provider internet goes down, and comes back up, the public side to my router works fine, but it is as if the private side doesn't autonegoiate. If I plug my laptop in to the router, pull a webpage, the router then starts working. It is as if the router is going to sleep. Any suggestions?

My provider looses connectivity very often.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You should set the source interface to the LAN side-

icmp-echo 173.194.33.116 source-interface GigabitEthernet0/1

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can try upgrading your IOS, could be a bug. You could also configure IPSLA to ping an internet host every minute or so and see if that alleivates you having to plug in your laptop each time.

I have a monitoring tool that pings every 60 seconds. The issue is the router is located in a remote location that is 45 minutes away. Two trips this week and 4 this month alone, not very efficient.

You can configure IPSLA on the remote router and have it source the pings from the LAN side interface. That should replicate you plugging in your laptop and going to a web page.

Thank you for the advice, I enabled the following.

!

ip sla 1

icmp-echo 173.194.33.116

frequency 30

ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

!

Please advise any needed changes.

You should set the source interface to the LAN side-

icmp-echo 173.194.33.116 source-interface GigabitEthernet0/1

The running config is now;

!

ip sla 1

icmp-echo 173.194.33.116 source-interface FastEthernet1

frequency 30

ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

!

Looks good. Just as an FYI you can check the results with-

show ip sla statistics 1

There should be some successes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco