cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 871W Switch

dvinem671
Level 1
Level 1

I recently got a Cisco Switch 871W - I finally got it configured to my imac, but when I go into it to reset the admin password within the GUI it doesn't reset, and when I go into the terminal - I am not seeing it as it boots up. Does anyone have any idea how to get it reset - I have reset it using the reset button numerous times and have researched it- and have done the suggestions, but it just won't reset. THANKS! Trying not to allow this set back to deter me from getting the CCNA... 

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

so have not been on the GUIs but on terminal when you connect up does it ask you for a username when it finishes booting , or does it revert back to factory settings of like router >

There are multiple ways to set security/password on cisco so really need to know what your seeing first and then go from there

These devices come set with cisco/cisco as the passwords and when you first boot them and login it prompts you to change it , did you see that ?

even though this doc says 819 its the same for every 800 series so this may help , shows how to set password when your in

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/hardware/installation/guide/800HIG/initalconfig.html

Thanks I don't think I tried cisco/cisco so, I will give that a try. That is the interesting part I pull up Terminal and boot it up I don't see it at all. No loading, no POST, nothing. All the lights that are supposed to light up do I just get nothing - I know that is weird... 

You should be seeing something on the terminal are you using correct baud rates and setup and correct adapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xA94N__uzk

Thanks! I may have missed a step - I'll check it out and let you know! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card