Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 877 Router Woes

MarPar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All!

I am having 877 woes (I know the 877 is old and outdated, but it worked for me. Until it didn't lol). It is a long and sorted tale, but I will try and make it as short and detailed as possible. First off, I am a novice when it comes to networking and IT, so please excuse me if I do not use the proper terminology, but I do know enough to be dangerous. lol

The tale starts off with lightning hitting my building at work-the transformers specifically. They got replaced and the hunt was on to see what got fried. Now, all of my electronic components are on surge suppressors/APC battery backups, but it appears as the one for the router and modem malfunctioned.

I can see the router on LAN1 through my network through the CP Express telnet utility, but my modem cannot see it from any of the three other ports and if I change my network cable from lan1 to any of the other ports my network cannot see the router. So that tells me 3 of the 4 (#2-4) LAN ports are fried on the router.

Comcast came and replaced the old modem as the four LAN ports on it were fried as well. The tech could not get into the old modem to copy the config and for the life of me I cannot find the backup config for it . I do not remember if I had my own config on it to start, but i do not think so. The modem works as I can get internet on my laptop through the modem's wireless network.

So I actually found another 877--thinking I could just load the running config onto it and it would "just go" instead of trying to re-learn a new router--well, not so much ( I am a novice remember). I started by plugging in through the console port and with Putty I erased the nvram and copied the backup running config from the old router then copied the running config to the startup config and reloaded the router. Plugged it into my network and it did not pick it up. I restarted in this order-modem boot up then router (plugged into modem) boot then my Cisco 200 50P switch reboot (of which I cannot get into the GUI, but that's another post for another day as the internal network is fine).

One thing I did notice is that Putty pastes the lines of code awfully fast and at times it would corrupt the code and I had to start all over again. I did this around 8 times. I tried the 4 different flow control settings of Putty and they all paste too fast. I tried to copy and paste just parts at a time (between exclamation marks), and the last time it looked like it worked, but I connected the router to my network and still nothing.

My internal network runs fine with the old router, but I cannot get internet in or out from my network.

Please help this novice get his router and VPN back online!

Thank you

27 Replies 27

Hello,

sorry about that...no, the arrows are just to point out the important parts...

MarPar
Level 1
Level 1

I figured. I didnt want to assume anything! So I justify the text all the way to the left, correct? No indents?

I forgot to answer your modem question. No, it is not in bridge mode.

MarPar
Level 1
Level 1

@Giuseppe Larosa 

When I enter the command you posted it says System image file is "flash:kernel.bin"

MarPar
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the current running config of the new router

MarPar
Level 1
Level 1

Man, that was tedious. lol

Here is the log and the config file for the new "slim" config.

Does it look right?

Hello,

the very basic config looks good. What is the result, do your LAN clients have Internet connectivity now ? Can they e.g. ping 8.8.8.8 ?

Well, I am out of the office right now and tomorrow, so all I did was upload the file to the router in preparation for Wednesday.

I have read the proper startup procedure is modem boot, router boot then switch boot. Is this correct? Also, should I put the modem into bridge mode?

Thank you Georg

MarPar
Level 1
Level 1

Well, it's Wednesday! Ill be trying out my slim config in about a half hour. Ill report back what I find. Wish me luck!

MarPar
Level 1
Level 1

Config I uploaded to the router the other night got wiped out.

MarPar
Level 1
Level 1

Just changed the config-register to 0x2102 to see if i can recover it. It was at 0x2101

MarPar
Level 1
Level 1

Nothing. looks like I have re-enter the config. Ugh

MarPar
Level 1
Level 1

Did not work with the new config. Internal network is down. Cannot connect to anything including internet.

Post the running config you have entered (sh run)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card