Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 877 Service Policy Doesnt work on ATM Interface

malikyounas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to attach a service policy to Virtual-Template which is refrenced in PVC of ATM Interface, now according to documentation this service policy should work but I am not getting any output of that....here is configuration first and then the out of show command

class-map match-any ce_mgmt_bundled_output
match access-group 199

policy-map outbound
class ce_mgmt_bundled_output
    police 8000 8000 8000 conform-action set-dscp-transmit 63 exceed-action set-dscp-transmit 63 violate-action set-dscp-transmit 63
    bandwidth 8
     random-detect
     random-detect exponential-weighting-constant 3
     random-detect precedence 6 20 32 10

interface ATM0
bandwidth 256
no ip address
load-interval 30
no atm ilmi-keepalive
hold-queue 224 in
!
interface ATM0.1 point-to-point
bandwidth 256
pvc 0/38
  vbr-nrt 248 248
  tx-ring-limit 3
  oam-pvc manage
  oam retry 3 3 10
  encapsulation aal5mux ppp Virtual-Template1
  max-reserved-bandwidth 100

interface Virtual-Template1
bandwidth 256
ip unnumbered Loopback1
ip flow ingress
load-interval 30
service-policy output outbound
!

Now when I use the following show command it doesnt show me any contents for service policy applied

# sh policy-map int virtual-template 1
Virtual-Template1

Service-policy output: outbound

Service policy content is displayed for cloned interfaces only such as vaccess and sessions

any ideas??????

7 Replies 7

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Younas,

this is related to the fact the virtual template is used as master copy and the effective object is a virtual-access created on demand after successful PPP authentication.

you should do

sh ip interface brief

you should find a virtual-access interface that is up/up when PPPoX session is established

if the session is terminated that interface goes down and can be even removed over time.

This is a framework useful for Network Access Server but it is used here even if the PPPoX session is only one

the warning simply says do

sh policy-map interface virtual-access x

to see meaningful counters

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for your reply Giuseppe, yeah thats the thing, I thought it should appear under Virtual Access Interface but doesnt show up there either, following is the output from router

sh ip int bri
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
ATM0                       unassigned      YES NVRAM  up                    up
ATM0.1                     unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
FastEthernet0              unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
FastEthernet1              unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet2              unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
FastEthernet3              unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
Loopback1                  x.x.x.x              YES NVRAM  up                    up
Loopback10                 x.x.x.x            YES NVRAM  up                    up
Virtual-Access1            unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
Virtual-Access2            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
Virtual-Access3            x.x.x.x             YES TFTP   up                    up
Virtual-Template1          x.x.x.x           YES TFTP   down                  down
Vlan1                      x.x.x.x               YES NVRAM  up                    up

Router#sh policy-map interface virtual-access 1
Router#sh policy-map interface virtual-access 2

Router#sh policy-map interface virtual-access 3
Router#

Well, this is just a guess, but try to create a very simple map just to see if current policy-map is not hitting some limitation:

policy-map TEST

class class-default

bandwidth 8

int virtual-template 1

service-policy out TEST

then reestablish the ppp connections.

tried it but the result is same no counter if I use

policy-map TEST
class class-default
    bandwidth 8

interface Virtual-Template1

bandwidth 256

ip unnumbered Loopback1
ip flow ingress
load-interval 30
service-policy output TEST

#sh policy-map int virtual-template 1
OR

#sh policy-map int virtual-access 1
#sh policy-map int virtual-access 2
#sh policy-map int virtual-access 3

Unfortunately I don't think i'm going to be much of help here. I have come into contact with Radius-enforced policy maps, but i'm just not usre of the limitations in this case, since i have always used the policy maps on PVCs directly:

interface ATM0.1 point-to-point
bandwidth 256
pvc 0/38

service-policy output TEST

Can you please point me to the documentation where you have read that this is how it should be configured?

Thanks for the links.

The documentation points out that all service policies are applied under ppp multilink, while you don't have multilink enabled in your config.

Multilink is an additional negotiation by the ppp and has to be enabled on both sides

try a:

int virtual-template 1

ppp multilink

And when dialing in, make sure multilink is supported on the other side.

Remember, you need to recreate virtual access interfaces for this to take effect.

So disconnect/connect or shut/no shut is required.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card