Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 887 QOS on Ethernet WAN

Peter Sheridan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've got a Cisco 887 (C887VA-W-A-K9) router connected to an Ethernet WAN service. I know 887s are typically meant for DSL connections, but the customer didn't want to spend money on a new router.

The ISP requires that traffic is shaped on the upload to match what they are paying for.

The customer is paying for a 40/40Mbps connection. The WAN comes in on port FastEthernet1. Config is below. 

IOS Version: c800-universalk9-mz.SPA.151-4.M4.bin

!

policy-map SHAPE-WAN
class class-default
shape average 38000000

!

interface FastEthernet1
switchport access vlan 999
no ip address
duplex full
speed 100
service-policy output SHAPE-WAN

!

interface Vlan999
description WAN 
ip address 111.111.111.111 255.255.255.252
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly in

I'm finding that the policy map isn't actually doing anything. All of my research has lead me to believe that it is not possible on the type of router i'm using because it doesn't have any native Layer 3 ports. 

Anyone got thoughts on how to make this work?

Regards,

Peter

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Most 800 series Ethernet ports are just L2 port, unless the 8xx has a "WAN" Ethernet (routed) port.

Have you tried the shaping policy on the SVI?

HI Joseph,

Yeah I think that's the problem. Every time I try and apply the policy to the SVI it throws back the error "Configuration Failed".

Doesn't look like it's possible. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: