cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 891 PPP LED vs PPPoE

N.B.
Level 1
Level 1

For the Cisco 891, the description for the PPP LED says a Green LED status means:

"At least one PPP session is established.”

Point to Point is supposed to be a protocol that connects on a serial port, as it is defined. On the Cisco 891, the v.92 port and AUX ports are the only serial connection ports that I am aware of.  PPPoE refers to Point to Point over Ethernet, and is established via an Ethernet port.

Does the PPP LED on the Cisco 891 include the status of connection types of both PPP and PPPoE? I was told you can connect an external dialup modem to either the primary or secondary WAN ports on the Cisco 891 (which include the GE0 and FE8) to create a PPPoE connection. I wanted to know if the PPP designation for this LED was a strictly defined use of the phrase PPP, or whether this designation is also meant to include the status of PPPoE connections.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Glenn Martin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This discussion belongs in another community board: Enterprise. I will be moving it there so you can get the proper visibility.

Glenn

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card