Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP and projector on same port

crist
Level 1
Level 1

Folks

In our school we have a Cisco 5508 wireless controller with 45 AP's. In the closet we have a C2960X switch. 

In one room, we need to have a single access point (VLAN 2) and a projector (VLAN 30) connected to the same switch port.

I can't change the VLAN on the projector....can I setup the switchport so BOTH can access their respective VLAN's??

THanks!

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Enable 802.1q Trunking and configure allowed-VLAN.

Sounds promising, but I'm a novice so if you could provide more details, that would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Hold on ... Explain "connected to the same switch port" because this isn't going to work.
It might work for the projector but it sure won't work for the AP.
The AP requires PoE and runs GigabitEthernet. So every pair counts. The projector only works 10/100BaseTx so the projector can work with only two pairs of the wire and this is what people use to "share" a port using a "splitter".

So if this issue gets forced, the AP will only have a 10/100 BaseTx speed and will require a power injector.  

And when this setup is enabled, don't put too many people on the wireless because there will definitely get complaints of slow wireless speed because the bottleneck is the 100 Mbps of the APs uplink.

This particular AP is using an injector.  

The AP and the projector are wired into a small 5 port switch, this is connected to a port on the closet Cisco switch.

If that 5-port switch support 802.1q trunking, then it should work.

Perhaps this problem can be solved differently:

Use a 1815w that connects to the single 2960-switchport. The projector then connects to one of the Ethernet-Ports of the AP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco