cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASR 1001-X Purchase Recommendation

utawakevou
Level 4
Level 4

I need help with buying the above model and all the necessities to host 4 WAN links - 3 x 100Mbps WAN and 1 x 1Gbps WAN

Data sheet shows built in Gigabit ethernet ports - 6 gigabit ethernet SFP pluggable ports. So I don't have to buy any other modules ? I believe the default IP based Cisco IOS XE is ok for now

Any help will be really appreciated

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. May I recommend that you beef up the DRAM to 16 Gb;
2. How are the WAN links "presented"? Copper or fibre? If fibre then you'll need to purchase SFPs.

Thank you Leo. Those WAN links are presented as UTP from our providers CPE

So this means you'll need to purchase GLC-TE for the copper ports.

So 6 x GLC-TE. How about the 2 x 10GB ports. They come with the router ? I might in future use this as a backup router to host our VPN tunnel to the HQ which is currently host on another device. The default IOS can handle IPSec over GRE tunnels ?

No, you'll need to purchase the SFP+ modules as well.

Thanks @Leo Laohoo 

Please confirm, so in total this is what I have to  procure:

• Cisco ASR 1001-X Chassis with 16GB DRAM
  • 6 x GLC-TE modules - for 1Gbps-100Mbps WAN links via UTP
  • 2 x SFP+ - for 10Gbps backbone links (will be connected to Nexus 9000) via UTP

Ive receive a quotation from a local vendor and its out of our budget. Is there another WAN router model that have the capacity to at least do the following

1. host 3 100Mbps and 1 Gbps WAN links with good throughput
  2. SSH
  3. SNMP
  4. OSPF
  5. Netflow 

A higher end ISR looks like it can handle the throughput your after alonside all the other features mentioned

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet-c78-732542.html

Much appreciated @shaps 

On another note we've got two Cisco Nexus N9K-C9372TX , performing the following roles:

1. hosting VMware hosts and SAN storage
  2. vPC between the two N9K-C9372TX and the VMware hosts
  3. HSRP
  4. intervlan routing and OSPF
  5. root bridge using vPC

So probably I can just configure at least 4 ports as router port and use that instead of buying extra devices ? Will this be ok concerning the above roles  ? Processor and memory usage not above 10% considering the above roles for the two boxes

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card