Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASR 1001-X Router DIMM Upgrade

selvakumar.vec
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

We are having ASR 1001-X with 8GB Memory and it is not capable of handling more BGP Routes. Hence we decided to upgrade the Memory from 8GB to 16GB. Could you please help me how we can upgrade the Memory.

Whether we need to buy 16GB RAM or an additional 8GB RAM. Also Kindly provide the partcode of the Memory. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/install/guide/1001-x/asr1hig-book.pdf

As per the above document, ASR Router has 2 slots and 2 UID combinations which will support max 8 GB RAM. So I am really confused whether I need to buy 16GB or 8GB RAM and I need the part codes as well.

Thanks,

Selva

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Part Number is M-ASR1001X-16GB.

NOTE:  Go HERE and scroll down to Table 8, Memory Options.  It is stated that: 

●  Cisco ASR 1001-X ships with 8-GB memory by default. It can be upgraded 16-GB memory
●  Cisco ASR 1001-X has 2 DRAM memory slots, which can take either 4- or 8-GB DRAM each
●  When shipped with 8-GB DRAM (M-ASR1001X-8 GB), 2 slots are filled with 4 GB each
●  When shipped with 16-GB DRAM (M-ASR1001X-16 GB), 2 slots are filled with 8 GB each

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Selva,

to find the SKU items you can use the ASR 1000 ordering guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-1000-series-aggregation-services-routers/guide-c07-731639.html#_Toc7831137

Table 6 says that for ASR 1001 X the default memory is 8 GB and max is 16 GB

Later in the examples it provides part numbers like the following:

M-ASR1K-RP2-16GB      16GB memory for route processor model RP2

in table 18

and

M-ASR1K-1001-16GB  in table 27.

And in table 29 we see the part number M-ASR1K-1001-8GB that might be what you need.

Because the hardware guide that you have provided on pag 13 says:

>> Dual In-lineMemoryModules(DIMMs)

Installing memory modules not provided by Cisco in the router is not recommended as Cisco will not provide support for your device if in the future there is an issue with the router.

Edit:

looking at the hardware configuration guide on pag 103 Table 23 it provides the supported memory configuration:

when you have 8 GB of memory you have actually two 4 GB DIMM modules installed

when you have 16 GB memory you have actually two 8 GB DIMM modules installed.

After seeing this I think the correct part number to buy is the 16GB bundle and that you need to remove both the existing DIMM modules and replace them with the new 8GB each modules.

The procedure is described in the following pages of the hardware installation guide.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Part Number is M-ASR1001X-16GB.

NOTE:  Go HERE and scroll down to Table 8, Memory Options.  It is stated that: 

●  Cisco ASR 1001-X ships with 8-GB memory by default. It can be upgraded 16-GB memory
●  Cisco ASR 1001-X has 2 DRAM memory slots, which can take either 4- or 8-GB DRAM each
●  When shipped with 8-GB DRAM (M-ASR1001X-8 GB), 2 slots are filled with 4 GB each
●  When shipped with 16-GB DRAM (M-ASR1001X-16 GB), 2 slots are filled with 8 GB each

Thanks @Leo Laohoo and @Giuseppe Larosa for the help. 

We will order M-ASR1001X-16GB. for the upgrade and I will post my comments after the upgrade.

Thanks,

Selva

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card