Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASR 1002 Latency

Andy Crawford
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Everyone,

Recently we have decided it was time to start using a Cisco ASR for all of our routing. Everything we use is Cisco for networking, that feeds a Ubiquiti wireless network. We used a Cisco 3750x previously for routing, and all worked great, except for CPU utilization. Upon installing the Cisco ASR, CPU is great now, but our entire network is plagued with a constant 200+ms of ping. To confirm the ASR was the issue, I changed back to the 3750x, and my ping is a steady 1-2ms. Am I missing something on the ASR that is a different setup? The config is basically an exact mirror to the 3750. 

Its a very basic config on the router. Just standard IP routing, 1vlan, and then an ACL to block unwanted traffic. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as the 3750 just cant handle the load anymore. 

3 Replies 3

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Is it only ping that is showing high latency? Have you tried file copy when using the 3750 versus the ASR? Some devices give ping low priority when the device is busy.

What is the load you are sending that the 3750 cannot handle?

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Hello,

--> but our entire network is plagued with a constant 200+ms of ping

What are you pinging ? The router itself ?

Sorry for a delayed response. 

Sending ping requests to client radios in various parts of the network. Results were consistent across each device, and any dropped packets are also consistent. The load across the network is anywhere between 500-800mb of traffic, and its just maximizing CPU percentage on the 3750, hence the switch over to the ASR. 

We do seem to have things stabilized now. On the 3750, we are able to utilize storm-control to pad the packets sent across, and it seems we were being hammered with a multicast storm that the ASR was not handling very efficiently. Long story short, had to disable multicast on approx 1000 devices. Was a long weekend...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card