Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASR 1006 RP failover?

Talha Ansari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The active RP of ASR 1006 router automatically switched over to standby while the standby assumed the active role.

Not sure the exact reason for this behaviour. The image version is 122-33.XNB1. We noticed an outage when the switchover happened but the device did not crash.

%CMANRP-6-CMHASTATUS: RP switchover, received fastpath becoming active event
%CMANRP-6-CMHASTATUS: RP switchover, received chassis event to become active
%REDUNDANCY-3-SWITCHOVER: RP switchover (PEER_NOT_PRESENT)
%REDUNDANCY-3-SWITCHOVER: RP switchover (PEER_DOWN)
%REDUNDANCY-3-SWITCHOVER: RP switchover (PEER_REDUNDANCY_STATE_CHANGE)
%PLATFORM-6-HASTATUS: RP switchover, sent message became active. IOS is ready to switch to primary after chassis confirmation
%NETCLK-5-NETCLK_MODE_CHANGE: Network clock source not available. The network clock has changed to freerun
%CMANRP-6-CMHASTATUS: RP switchover, received chassis event became active
%PLATFORM-6-HASTATUS_DETAIL: RP switchover, received chassis event became active. Switch to primary (count 3)

In the output of "show redundancy switchover history" the switchover reason given is active unit failed.

But currently the RPs are working as active and standby hot.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Talha

4 Replies 4

gephelps
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If it crashed there should be a crashinfo file in the bootflash. In addition there should be a core file in the core directory of the harddisk. These need to be looked at.

Hi George,

Thanks for your response... I hope the bootflash and harddisk you are refferring is that of the rp that switched over to standby. However when we checked the output of "show stby-bootflash:" and "show stby-harddisk:" it doesn't show anything. Below is the output from the show tech after the switchover.

------------------ show stby-bootflash: all ------------------

------------------ show stby-harddisk: all ------------------

------------------ show stby-obfl: all ------------------

And the bootflash of the current active rp doesn't show any crashinfo related to this switchover. Do we need to do a force fail-over and then check the bootflash and harddisk of the active rp?

Regards,

Talha

I tried searching for bugs which would explain why the files aren't displayed from the standby file systems. I was able to find a different customer running 12.2(33)XNB which saw the same behavior. I couldn't find any cases where 12.2(33)XNC or later say the same behavior.

You may be able to get on the console of the standby RP and see its local file systems. You may need to enable the standby console though from the config of the active:

redundancy

main-cpu

standby console enable

If not then I don't know of another way except to fail back over.

Hi George,

Thanks a lot for your help... once we get permission to perform config changes we would attempt enabling the standby console. Will post here about the progress.

Thanks,

Talha

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: