cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C819G will no longer boot to IOS or ROMMON

Zaleon
Level 1
Level 1

So I think I may have bricked my C819G after trying to upgrade it to a new IOS via TFTP. Has anyone seen this happen before?

I decided I would start with a fresh config and flash while upgrading to the 157-3.M2 image so I used the “erase nvram:” command to erase my config and the “delete /force /recursive flash:” command to clear the flash. I then setup the GigabitEthernet0 port with an IP address along with my laptop to transfer the new 157-3.M2 image to the flash: via TFTP.

For some reason I was never able to get the TFTP to connect so I decided to reboot and try again. Now my router continues to boot in a loop with the following messages:

System Bootstrap, Version 15.4(3r)M1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright © 2014 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Total memory size = 1024 MB
C819G-4G-NA-K9 platform with 1048576 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 32 bit mode

Readonly ROMMON initialized
PASSWORD RECOVERY FUNCTIONALITY IS DISABLED
loadprog: bad file magic number: 0x0
boot: cannot load “flash:”

Using the reset button on the back of the router or attempting to CTRL+Break out of the boot sequence has no affect on the router. Is there any way to fix this issue?

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Pop the lid and inspect the flash. The flash memory could either have dislodged or someone's removed them.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried that but unfortunately the flash on the C819G appears to be soldered directly onto the board. It is fanless and about the same size as an ASA5505 so I guess that is why. I think it could easily be fixed if I could get in the ROMMON or even if it had a USB port, but neither of those options seem available. :(

Zaleon
Level 1
Level 1

I tried the reset button again, I did notice it gives an additional couple of messages about correcting the backup nv_flash and that it can't determine the executable file name on flash: but then it goes back into the same reboot cycle with the above messages.

System Bootstrap, Version 15.4(3r)M1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2014 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Total memory size = 1024 MB

Correcting the backup nv_flash
C819G-4G-NA-K9 platform with 1048576 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 32 bit mode 

Readonly ROMMON initialized
boot: cannot determine first executable file name ondevice "flash:"
loadprog: bad file magic number:      0x0
boot: cannot load "flash:"

@Zaleon wrote: 

Where did you get this router from?  Is this unit "used"?

Yes, I bought it used and I've had it since February working on cellular but now I don't need the cellular really and wanted to use it as a normal Ethernet router. I did turn off the password recovery feature for security but I can't even get as far as to enter the password as it won't boot properly since Sunday.

I've even tried connecting to the console at 1200 baud and holding the space bar, but nothing works to break the reboot cycle.

@Zaleon wrote:

I've even tried connecting to the console at 1200 baud and holding the space bar, 

Default baud rate should be 9600 unless someone has hard-coded 1200.

@Zaleon wrote:

but nothing works to break the reboot cycle..

The break won't work because someone has DISABLED password recovery

Until now, I don't understand the "objective" why someone would want to (or relish) disable password recovery. 

Yes I know but that wasn't working either so I was trying what was suggested on this page.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/10000-series-routers/12818-61.html

So does password recovery disabled effectively brick the device? I know what I made my admin password and enable password, looks like it would ask me that to enter ROMMON. I guess I misunderstood the purpose of that feature and this is the result.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: