Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C921-4P router causing private network to show as Unidentified

EPearson117
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Windows Embedded Standard 7 system that has two network connections, House and Private.  I need the House connection to show up as a Public network and the Private connection to show up as a Work network.  

The House connection is connected to my company's network and is getting a DHCP address.  The Private is connected to on of the 4 layer 2 switch ports on my Cisco C921-4P router.  I am using the router to NAT the private network back to the House network.  See drawing below.Router Setup.jpg

The issue I am having is that when I connect the Private connection from the Win 7 system to the Router, the network shows up as an "Unidentified Network" and the option to change the network type is grayed out.  If i plug that same connection into a Windows Server 2019 system that is doing NAT, it works fine.  I am able to change the network type.  Can someone tell me why the Cisco router does not allow the network connection to show as a network, but instead shows as Unidentified?  One other piece of info, I am using the Private IP from the router (10.10.0.254) as the Gateway address on the Windows 7 system.

14 Replies 14

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post the config of the router

From windows post ipconfig /all and route print

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

I have attached .txt files with the Router Config, IP Info, and Route Print that you requested.  I also attached an image of the error on the Windows 7 system.

Thanks.

Thank for the information, You have issue with only device have dual connection, how about rest working ? or none of them working behind Cisco router ? (please clarify)

as per information ipconfig you only have 1 IP address shown, but route print have different route 10.161.1.45 ? is this from house Lan router ?

BB

Hello,

The only one that I am having this issue with is the one labeled as an RX that is connected to both the House network and the Private network.

The other two devices that are behind the Cisco router are only on the Private network and they are not having issues with communicating with each other.

The House network is on the 10.161.1.x VLAN, so the 10.161.1.45 address is the DHCP IP that the RX system has received.

The 10.10.0.x VLAN is the Private network.

This setup consists of the three systems shown in the image above and then a Windows 2019 server that is at 10.161.1.14 that I did not put in the image.  This is why there is a NAT setup on the Cisco, so that the systems on the Private network can communicate to that server.

Thanks.

If you looking default route to go to private network.

i would configure other  interface as host network manually rather from DHCP house lan (with out gateway)

then add static route in window 10.161.1.0 net to use you house lan gateway,

default 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 should be your private addres that should fix your issue i guess

BB

Hello,

Sorry, i am not really sure what you are telling me to do.  But one thing is that I cannot make any changes to the House network.  This is my companies network, and I don't have access to it.

Thanks.

i am asking to make changes on Dual NIC windows PC

Second nic add cofig as below :

balajibandi_0-1670440218626.png

manually command level add route :

route add 10.161.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 10.161.1.1 -p

what happend with this setup, all default traffic go to Cisco router.

anything going to 10.161.X net work go to 10.161.1.1

Hope this help you.

BB

Hello,

For the Second Nic the one you want me to set the IP on, that one is on my company's house network.  I cannot set a Static IP on that port, I can only use the DHCP address assigned to me.  Are you suggesting that I plug that connection into the Cisco Router as well?

Thanks.

For the Second Nic the one you want me to set the IP on, that one is on my company's house network. I cannot set a Static IP on that port -  that is correct - is this possible ?

I can only use the DHCP address assigned to me  - this means you can not change anything on the device ?

Are you suggesting that I plug that connection into the Cisco Router as well?  - you goal to use 1 interface in cisco router as per the diagram and 1 you would like to use house lan.

you can only have 1 gateway to work as expected, or check you can add any metric to routing - so cisco router side use as defaullt (hope this is what you looking to do ?)

BB

Hello again,

First thank you for all of the help you are providing, I am fairly new to Cisco routing so this is great!

I can only use the DHCP address assigned to me  - this means you can not change anything on the device ? - I can change stuff on the device, I just can't set a Static IP, because I don't have any.  I suppose I could set it temporarily to test, I will try that and let you know if it works. 

And yes, my goal is to have one connection to the house and one to the Cisco router.  And then to be able to configure the network type of both.  The reason for this, is that i need to be able to set different firewall rules for each connection on the Windows 7 system, and to do that I need them to be different network types.

Thanks.

Hello,

I tried to run the command you mentioned above and got the following errors:

R1#config term
R1#config terminal
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
R1(config)#
R1(config)#
R1(config)#route add 10.161.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 10.161.1.1 -p
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

R1(config)#route add ?
% Ambiguous command: "route add "
R1(config)#route ?
% Ambiguous command: "route "
R1(config)#route ?
% Ambiguous command: "route "
R1(config)#

Did i do something wrong?

Thanks.

the steps provided to do in windiows dual nic ( that is windows route add command) - not for cisco router.

BB

Hello,

So unfortunately that fix did not work.  At first I thought it did, but then when I came in this morning and took a look I found that now both NICs on the Windows7 system are showing as Unidentified Networks.

EPearson117_0-1670597791202.png

as i guess that should fix, until you have any centralise system which control your device and changes.

i am more intrested inside the content of IP config, route print  (so post screenshot of IPv4 settings)

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: