Views
Helpful
Replies

[Cisco IE4010 Switch] - Goes randomly into POST

ekarseras
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

Having searched this forum for a hint or a solution to the problem I am facing, I decided to ask a question directly, especially since the product in question has just came out.

The problem:

The switch goes randomly into POST, i.e., it reboots and keeps on rebooting once you connect anything to any ports, a PC, or a router. I have observed the console output and when you do a hard reset it boots fine and everything appears to be fine. I even managed to get to the web device manager once. Shortly after a device is plugged in it reboots and keeps on rebooting (I can see on the console). Once it has rebooted the device stays into POST (SYS blinking), after it has booted the image. Connecting a device does nothing.

The switch is an industrial switch IE4010 with a manufacturing date of the 6th of November 2016. It got delivered on the 29th of November 2016. There are two IOS images available from Cisco with the initial one dating back to the 16th September 2016 and the latest one to the 27th November 2016. I have tried the latest one in hope for my problem to be resolved. Note that after booting with the latest image I lost access to the web device manager. Right now I am running the original release. One of them is marked as ED while the other one is marked as EC. See below.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/ie-4000-4s24p-industrial-ethernet-switch/model.html#~tab-downloads

The switch is running one power supply attached to the mains with a ground connection.

Most of the forum posts I could find here and elsewhere suggest that is has to be a software issue but if there are only two images available this means the device is unusable since there is nothing you can use it for at the moment. I have gone through the installation guide and the configuration guide but could not find anything related to this. Maybe someone with a bit more experience than me can help out.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Evros

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think that switches needs to be RMA-ed under DoA.

Hi Leo,

I forgot to mention that pressing the Express Setup button also seems to have no effect. The hardware installation guide says that once pressed  it should go through a specific sequence but that never happens.

I can understand firmware bugs and software issues but I cannot even get basic switch functionality.

Evros

Make sure it's RMA-ed under DoA.  

If you don't mention DoA, they'll send you a refurbished unit.  DoA means they send you a factory-fresh unit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card