cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO L3 switch multisubnet routing

almatel01
Level 1
Level 1

i have an alcatel oxe PBX(CPU TFTP IP@ = 172.17.0.4 )with internal DHCP server (range 172.17.0.10 _ 172.17.0.200) connected to L3 CISCO switch.
the customer has two different subnet network for two branch ((linked to the L3 CISCO switch)) :
first subnet IP@ = 10.0.0.0
second subnet IP@ = 172.19.0.0
the requirment is to configure SIP and IP phones in bothe branch to be connected to PBX.

please advise.
Your argent reply will be appreciated.
best regards.

4 Replies 4

Martin Carr
Level 4
Level 4

I would use L3 between the two, so create a routed interface on each switch with a transit address.

Then you would need to configure some static routes, this is a solution to the intersite connectivity.

I am not sure re 'SIP', but you may need to configure an 'IP-helper', for DHCP at the branch site.

Martin

I would agree with Martin that the original poster has not given much to help us understand his requirements. But based on what little information we have I will offer these suggestions.

- I do not see how the DHCP scope on the alcatel PBX relates to other things connected to the Cisco L3 switch. But this scope suggests that there are other devices and we do not know whether these other devices are connected to the Cisco L3 switch. This might or might not impact other parts of our suggestions so clarification of this would be helpful.

- The original poster does not tell us whether the alcatel PBX has the Cisco L3 switch as its default gateway or some other device as its default gateway. Clarification of this would be helpful.

- If the alcatel PBX does not have the Cisco L3 switch as its default gateway then it would need routes configured for the 10.0.0.0 and the 172.19.0.0 networks with the Cisco L3 switch as the next hop.

- the original poster does not tell us whether the remote subnets have the Cisco L3 switch as their default gateway. Clarification of this would be helpful.

- If the remote subnets do not have the Cisco L3 switch as their default gateway then they would need routes for the 172.17.0.0 network with the Cisco L3 switch as the next hop.

- The original poster tells us that the Cisco switch is L3 but does not tell us that IP routing is enabled. For this solution to work IP routing must be enabled on the Cisco switch.

If IP routing is enabled on the Cisco switch, if the Cisco L3 switch has appropriate routes for the 10.0.0.0, 172.17.0.0, and the 172.19.0.0 networks, if the alcatel PBX has the Cisco L3 switch as its default gateway or has appropriate routes for the 10.0.0.0 and 172.19.0.0 networks with the Cisco L3 switch as next hop, and if the remote networks have the Cisco L3 switch as default gateway then SIP and IP phones should work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you for your explanation Richard.

You are quite welcome. I am glad that my response was helpful.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card