Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco NVRAM Error

hi everyone,

I am urgergoing a very difficult situation, looking for urgent help from you all, below is the issue,

Cisco 2911/k9  ISR with UC and SEC licenses intergated, FXO and SRE modules are also installed physically, this is serving as VoIP Device, Security gateway, Internet Gateway. this is into production and we don't have physical access of Router, I can connect it via both WAN(public) IP and VPN Client. 

recently while monitoring our device I noticed that after executing "write memory" command the outcome is "NVRAM Verification Failed" and also when I am trying to execute "show startup-config" the outcome is "%Error opening nvram:/startup-config (Invalid Checksum)".

I am afraid and not testing its memory using "test momery" because it gives me warning "Testing NVRAM card will remove all files! Continue [y/n] ? "

I took the backup of running configuration (remotely) over VPN Client connection which is of 18kb, I am again worried here if I might loose some keys(VPN Tunnel) or its configurations If i proceed with erasing the conf. and then re-writing it.

please let me know the best to avoid any downtime and break into our services.

thanks

7 Replies 7

billabesant1
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to simply save my config and I am getting the following error message:

Router#show startup-config
Using 1648 out of 245752 bytes
%Error opening nvram:/startup-config (Unknown error 0)

Anyone got any ideas as to whats going on here?

I tried to do an erase and format but both of them have given me errors as if the chip is not even present. Anyway to check if this is a corruption problem or if the chip is just simply MIA?

This is on a router I JUST got from Cisco as a replacement.

Ok, some ideas:

• You can change the location of the startup config from nvram to flash with the "boot config flash0:startup-config" command. After that command do a "copy running-config flash0:startup-config" command to save the current config
  • Maybe this is your problem: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10346241/nvram-error-fixable

Best,

Janno Schouwenburg

No Need for replacement , You need to erase the NVRAM or Detele it ,  and then wr -> copy running to startup -> 

Its issue with you NVRAM which is got corrupted , 

saif musa
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

NVRAM is not a field replaceable unit (FRU) and it became harder if you cannot log to router  physically. there is a possiblity of upgrading your IOS will solve this issue.

Regards

hi,

thanks for your answer, so can the router IOS be upgraded remotley over VPN Client ?

also please  give some reference how we can predict that NVRAM issue can be resolved using IOS Upgradation.

BR,

hello all,

can anyone revert on my query. we are still in the same state.

thanks

Br.

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

99% likely you need to get this piece of hardware replaced, so make that your primary plan.

Do not expect this router to survive a reboot.  Do not attempt an IOS upgrade as the router will not survive the reboot.

You could try formatting the NVRAM, which will wipe it, and then immediately save the config and vlan database.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card