cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Serial vs T1/E1

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Hi everyone! I have a router and I have the chance to receive the WAN connection either from a Serial port (Smart Serial) or T1/E1. I have both cards for Serial and E1/T1 interfaces. I really don't know what are the pros/cons from one to another.

Can anyone help me?

---

Posted by WebUser Andre Tenreiro

10 Replies 10

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

A liitle clarification, A T1(or E1) is a serial connection. The pinning of the cables is different.(among other things).

What does your local carrier support?

E1 is European, T-1 is North America.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should use T1/E1 preferably.

spicert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I read the question a little differently, so if the question is rephrased as "do I want the CSU/DSU integrated into the WIC (etc) or let the carrier provide the CSU/DSU?" my opinion is this.

The CSU/DSU is a component in the T1/E1 chain that has to be somewhere, whether internal or external.  If you receive the circuit from the carrier and you as the customer provide the CSU/DSU, the primary benefit is that you can see the performance counters at the T1/E1 level and have visibility into the channel provisioning.   If the carrier provides the CSU/DSU and offers you a serial interface, you may not have visibility to T1 counters and may need to open carrier tickets more frequently.     (Also, the carrier can perform the same remote tests to both methods)

I personally would always choose the integrated CSU/DSU WICs/modules and take the circuit directly from the carrier.  

Agree 100%. One less cable to run, one less power supply to support, one less piece of hardware to mount.....

please  tell me about what are the difference to use serial interface card or Channelized E1/T1 card for data connectivity.

can i drop channelized E1 cable on serial interface card for P2P connectivity.

early support will be appreciated.

Since you added your question to this very old discussion can we assume that you have both a built in Smart Serial and a T1/E1 card? I believe that the answer about whether you can drop a channelized E1 cable on the interface depends on which interface type you have and on who is providing the function of CSU/DSU. Can you clarify that?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard thanks for the reply,

i do not have either serial card or channalized E1/T1 card.

actually i want to connect IP data connectivity on cisco 1841 router via E1 available.

please suggest me that if i have channelized E1 available ,so i can drop this E1 on serial interface card or channelized E1 card as cisco recommends 

from below mention cards which should i have to use to drop E1 to establish Point to point data connectivity on IP Layer

HWIC-1DSU-T1

VWIC2-1MFT-G703 acknowledge   1-port T1/E1 Voice / WAN w/ D&I & unstructured E1 (G703) (only data supported on Cisco 1841)

Of the cards that you mention the HWIC-1DSU-T1 is specifically for T1 and would not support E1. So you would want to use VWIC2-1MFT-G703.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I have set up T1/E1 card as number 2 mention above.

i want to set up simple IP bases P2P connectivity for remote access. after plugging E1 into card ,phsically link got up but its protocol down.

please can you specify me the actual configuration for E1 interface to bind IP address.

Please post the complete output of show run so that we can see what you have and can advise on what is needed. Also please provide information about what you are connecting to using this E1.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card