cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clear IP DHCP Binding - 192.168 is a reservation. Use the Pool's address command

jon.baxter1
Level 1
Level 1

i am trying to get rid of a manual binding.  when i run the command to clear IP DHCP Binding 192.168.161.5 i get the message: % 192.168.161.5 is a reservation.  Use the pool's address command.

There is nothing online where someone has run into this.  I am not getting an answer.  I am able to remove other bindings just fine, whether they are static or not.  I do not understand this message.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

client identifier is something like below setup where its bound to mac address in dhcp pool a reserved ip to mac , where it uses hardware mac command or client identifier , so standard clear ip dhcp binding doesn't work on them as its reserved , if you remove the pool specific to reservation it will remove the binding as its static , if that's whats setup

ip dhcp pool Mars
host 172.16.2.254 mask 255.255.255.0
hardware-address 02c7.f800.0422 ieee802

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
do you have a client identifier setup to match a hardware address in your dhcp config in the cli ? that's a reserved address in dhcp but matched to a mac usually , that could be whats happening

jon.baxter1
Level 1
Level 1

by client identifier i assume you mean the name of the dhcp pool?  I do have one yes, but did not have to enter that on other bindings that I have cleared.  even when using the question mark for help on commands, no command asked for it, so i would be unclear as to what the syntax of the command would be

client identifier is something like below setup where its bound to mac address in dhcp pool a reserved ip to mac , where it uses hardware mac command or client identifier , so standard clear ip dhcp binding doesn't work on them as its reserved , if you remove the pool specific to reservation it will remove the binding as its static , if that's whats setup

ip dhcp pool Mars
host 172.16.2.254 mask 255.255.255.0
hardware-address 02c7.f800.0422 ieee802

i have several ip bindings in that pool.  i cannot delete the entire pool

then remove that specific binding from the pool , its statically set as its configured so needs to be removed to clear it or it will stay there as you seen

What is the command to remove that specific binding from the pool?? because clear ip dhcp binding IP address is not working.

I found the command and it worked.

Inside specific pool where you want to delete IP address, apply this command: no address A.B.C.D (where A.B.C.D is your ip address)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card